ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Exercise ideas?

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is up to you as to how often, but should be when you know you have spare time. Nice thing about the baby pools we use here is if we do need to leave the room or get side tracked a little they hermies are safe and contained. :) We try to take ours out daily but during the winter if it is too cool (sometimes it does get cool here...) we may skip a day. Or if we go away for a couple of days. The more they get out of the tank for exercise also helps them to get use to being handled and it being a good thing.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Post by Mim »

Thanks for that... I guess that were I'm lucky... The coolest it gets here is around 25c... I figure they are about ready to start getting out... Seeing as how they are doing their best to escape!! Patrick was 3/4 of the way up the tank last night!! LOL
cometstream
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 55

Post by cometstream »

I use ferinheight or however you spell it.Well what size cage do you have because going 3/4 the way up in my 55 gallon would be cool but they have climbed their plant to that point. Also if you want to try a hamster tread mill that would be interesting but make sure it's not metal. I don't know if any ones using them . I just checked on my crabs and they were climbing around and when i got there they were like. "who zat?!?! Oh... It's you..." They do love if you get fish tank accessories they love it because it and edges in it and they love climbing it plus when i looked at them they were on it and a log for fish tanks are my main hiding hut which they also climb on a bit. another idea is to get boxes and stack them up and make a start and a finish so it's a race. it's always fun to see who wins.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

I think the tank is around 14 inches high.... (Coversions... I suck at them...lol)
I have a kiddy pool that I was going to pop them in with Coral, Drift wood etc... They seem to almost be at the stage of free time... Will probably wait a few more days for the newbies to settle in though..
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Waiting for the newbies to destress would be best. :)
Little note too about out of the tank exercise... they seem to be able to get some real leg stretching in the baby pool, and they love to explore here. BUT exercise = hungry hermies = more of an appetite so they eat more = healthy muscles due to food and exercise = growing like little weeds = molting. :D
In the wild though they are known to travel a mile or so in search of food and water.

And oh yeah! Isn't it amazing how they can climb the silicone on the inside of the tank? This is why we have screens under all our lids on our tanks. Keep pests and such out, but keep hermies in.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Lucky mine are too big to fit through the holes!!! LOL

I need to get a photo of them all giving each other a boost... it is hilarious!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I have yet to see mine climb the silicone (if they can), but they absolutely love climbing up the air pipe that pumps air into the two filtered ponds. The pipe slips through a tiny gap between two pieces of the glass lids, so they climb up and then try slipping through the gap... even though they obviously can't fit through.
Wai
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

My lot constantly try & escape... It's funny to see 3 crabs around the top of the tank wondering where do they go from here??? LMAO... Very cute.. I Love my babies!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It's odd to see my Jumbo's climbing the silicone on the inside of the tank as well as my straws. What is really amazing to see is how they get the very tips of their legs into the screen lid and scale the screen lid.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)