Local Petstore Made me sick.

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
_JP_
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 3

Local Petstore Made me sick.

Post by _JP_ »

I wanted to go to a local pet store because the petsmart and petco were not the best.. i thought the local one would treat them better. I went to look for hermit crabs and i didn't see any.. i looked again.. still didn't see anything. then when i looked closer i saw them. they were in a aquarium with red clawed crabs and crayfish. the floor had gravel and was covered with an 2 inches of water. all the hermit crabs were forced onto a little rock that came just out of the water. there were 4 jumbos and 5 tiny purple pinchers. they all had horrible painted shells on and googly eyes and such. they were all so close to the top the light on the cage had actually melted a lot of the paint so it was bubbly on top.There was one big blue one that i did like.. he looked healthy enough and had a bubbly blue sparkled painted shell. I left and came back three weeks later. same conditions.. even more red clawed crabs and it looked like the big crabs were fighting the red clawed crabs.. I ended up buying the blue one. i took it home and it dug for 5 days and now im very worried because it still hasnt changed shells.. i have many i in his size and smaller and bigger to choose from.. but i am worried that he might have gotten stuck.. i hate pet stores like this and would like to wipe them off the earth
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Local Petstore Made me sick.

Post by aussieJJDude »

I an so sorry to hear about the pain the little ones when through, don't be afraid to tell the store that they keeping the crabs in incorrect conditions!!
I hope the best for you new little one!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
_JP_
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 3

Re: Local Petstore Made me sick.

Post by _JP_ »

Well Finally he changed shells.. hes doing better but he did change into a small shell then he should and dug down so i assume he is molting.. i hope all goes well.