Big hermy and Painted Shells :(

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Big hermy and Painted Shells :(

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

So when I bought my hermies there was this huge hermit crab in a shell that was obviously too small, so small that it had cracks and stuff on it. Naive at the time I didnt think much but every week since I visit the same pet store and every week the poor thing is still there, I'm assuming because the pet stores here charge by size...

Anyway today I went back and the poor thing has obviously been eating his shell as its missing even more devastating :(

Ontop of that I went to the other pet store near me no longer able to bear watching this crab wither away (I cant find shells big enough for him nor do I have the $50 spare) and this pet shop was even worse! 80% of the hermit crabs in this tank were in coloured shells, paint chips clearly visible in them.

Whats worse is the shop attendant couldn't even tell me the tempreture or humidity as they dont have a gauge in there despite selling them! I love my hermies but the way theyre treated breaks my heart :(
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
Hermes' Hermies
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Big hermy and Painted Shells :(

Post by Hermes' Hermies »

Aw...that's really sad to hear such abuse towards hermit crabs. Even worse, RSPCA doesn't include hermit crabs in their list or what-ever record they have....
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Big hermy and Painted Shells :(

Post by aussieJJDude »

Thats so sad... If you have rescued him good job. Right an email to the store how to properly house hermies. I done this and the stores have changed...
I have a hermie that i adopted from somebody off here - he still refuses to change shells. Coming to think about it, Tank needs a new shell because it is too small and it is painted and Barri need one because he is too small. most aussie I know, the larger they get the more pickier they get with shell choices. Goodness sake, I have 8 or so shells there size and they wouldn't even bugde, so that my younger ones have tried on - except they are too big for them :D

Sorry about the rant :D Good luck with the store :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.