poor guy

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
lilangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

poor guy

Post by lilangel »

Well was at the pet store today (petsmart) of coarse i go right to the hermies. What do i see? A huge guy in this tiny shell trying to hide but can not so i ask them if i can see him if he still alive and he was and a fisty guy too :o but first asked to look at the others so she lifts everything and i see there is NO extra shells for them at all and told her and she says "oh there is most times" and then just brushes it off :@ so i told her i want the guy with the extremely small shell bring him home and well here he is.

That is as much as he can close into his shell :(

Him walking around

In tank with shells

He did look at shells but yet to choose one I so hope he is not stuck in that shell :(
CatDogMom
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 2

Re: poor guy

Post by CatDogMom »

I recently went to Petsmart to start up my crabitat (had only one to start, he needed friends). One of the crabs I bought at Petsmart was like yours - way too big for the shell. That very first night, not sure what order things happened in, but I had two crabs change shells.

I am new at this so I don't know the names of shells but Rocky was in a very bumpy shell that looked like a crazy rock. Rocky I believe was the first to change shells and No-name (the one who was way too big for his shell) slipped into Rocky's shell. Rocky has since changed shells two more times and now seems happy.

But I say all that to say that No-name is now in a shell that is a great size for him.