I sure did it now....

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

I sure did it now....

Post by rmbrmb »

I went to the mall today... As always I cheacked the hermit crab stand, they only have painted shells, all the substrate was gravel, and half the hermit crabs were dead and the only movement I could see is a SMALL suffle every once and awhile. Then, I saw movement in a cave, I asked the person at the cash redgister if I could pick them up, he said yes, but be careful, they might bite. I bit my tougne and held the one in the cave. It came out right away. It literally was the healthiest one in the bunch. The crab was missing a small claw (it was a purple pincher) I felt sorry for it, it would die in less than a week with these conditions. So, I............. it was a moment of weakness........... yes, I bought it. I told the dude I wanted it. So, he picked it up and literally threw it in a chinese food box and handed it to me, I was horrifyed. Then, I went to the petstore to get an UNpainted shell for it. When I passed their hermit crab tank all were healthy and active, they take GREAT care of their hermies. I saw the PP's as always, then I spotted AN E!!! I have been looking for one scence the death of Splash... I bought it. It had an ugly shell straped on it (painted) but thats fixable....

I literally said "I've made a personal choice to NEVER get another hermit crab" (because of splash) That lasted 3 weeks...

I really hate how the mall works. I hate seeing dead hermit crabs and people who only see them as money, or a childs toy!
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
purplepincher
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 3

Re: I sure did it now....

Post by purplepincher »

you will take such good care of them. just remember to get multiple ecudorian hermit crabs because they need companionship of their own kind. not just PPs.
Sara Cobbler
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sara Cobbler »

I don't have any ecudorian crabs, but I've seen pictures of them and they're really cute.
My crabs' names are: Angela, Bubbles, Sandy, and Shelldon
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

congrats on the new additions! Pictures are always welcome! ;)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.