Thesis

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Thesis

Post by rmbrmb »

Hi-its been awhile. I am doing a thesis and I figured this would be the topic I should post it in.
Thesis is about:
By law, pet stores should be required to give fresh water, salt water, and a proper diet to their land hermit crabs to keep these wild-born creatures healthy.

Any ideas? Possible questions?

(If this is in the wrong area let me know)
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Thesis

Post by ladybug15057 »

There are animal cruelty laws that protect many creatures. Last year I had taken some time to search the Laws of every state, and have them posted on CrabbyWiki. (a sister site of HCParadise)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

Thanks thats good to know. I hope it'll help me with my paper
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

All 50 states are there, (had/have a hard time finding about other countries) but not all include non-vertebrate. Some do, some claim "All living creatures".... some include reptiles and fish... lots of reading.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

EDIT; finished thesis. I was looking at alot og the stuff ladybug showed me but I had a limit of words I could use. I had to make it short, sweet, and to the point :(
Thesis:
Imagine a creature loud and noisy, coming into your home. It’s a lovely sunny afternoon. The birds are chirping, the wind is producing a lovely gentle breeze. Then all of a sudden, a gigantic creature with a loud howling voice with almost no hair snatching you up, and leaving trash in your now-former home. Well, has it ever occurred to you that this has happened? Yes, this has happened to many innocent pain-feeling souls. I bet your wondering what am I talking of. What kind of story believer is this lady? Well, it’s no Bigfoot but some other harmful primate.
Every day thousands, if not, millions of organisms are harmed, neglected, and abused by humans. The human is the most harmful primate in the world today. Humans destroy environments, pollute the air they and others have to breath, and use organisms to test the possible cures of human sickness. Many, and I couldn't emphasize enough, many living breathing creatures are hurt by humans. One of the most tortured, abused, and neglected animals in the world is the humble hermit crab. Hermit crab? Who cares about a stupid little crab? For any one who agreed with the sentence before, I beg your pardon. Hermit crabs aren't furry, but that doesn't mean that they aren't living breathing things such as you and I. Hermit crabs are not loved, in fact in Australia, their ASPCA publicly announced that hermit crabs are the least of their concerns! Hermit crabs aren't just throw away pets. They are living, breathing animals that deserve love and kindness as much as you and I do. Is anyone going to do anything?
Hermit crabs need proper treatment and care. They are a very special species and so, they need very special care. (hermitcrabparadise.com) Hermit crabs are relatively cheap to buy. This leads to horrible cramped environments for these little guys. What happens is that hermit crabs are bought in bulk, then all stacked in an titty-bitty cage. The worst part is, they are actually pulled out of their own shells and stuffed into ugly, bulky, poisonous painted shells! When they pet stores or malls put them on display, little children come and beg their mommies for a Blues Clues hermit crab. You can assume that what happens next is as horrid as the beginning. If you were to do what people do to hermit crabs to a dog, you could expect jail time. To be plain, hermit crabs are horribly mistreated and need help now! No one wishes to step it up and help these poor things. Will you rise to the challenge?
I think that by law, hermit crabs in pet shops must be given food, salt water, and fresh water to keep these wild-born creatures healthy. By doing this hermit crabs will not only receive proper care from the pet store, but the costumers will be well aware of how to take care of these living organisms. The abuse rate with hermit crabs will drastically decrease. So, one tiny law can save these creatures. It's a really obvious positive change for the pet industry. If we take action we can save a wild-caught pet from having a long, grueling, horrible death.
Who would dare challenge such an effective, life-saving law? I'll tell you. Cheap, lazy pet store owners who look to save a buck every chance they get! Yes, the PETA and ASPCA have a lot on their plate, but they are there to protect animals. If a hermit crab isn't an animal, I'm a fish! Hermit crabs are worth saving. If you ever had one watch you, stare at you like their expecting something, or see their personalities shine you'd understand. They are much more like puppies then you'd know! If you'd own one and had the proper conditions you'd see how healthy, happy hermit crabs react. These are not pets to even be considered throw away pets!
All in all, hermit crabs are better pets then you'd ever have known. I love them as much as I would a dog. If you approve to torture and suffering of a entire species blow me off. On the other hand, if you want to get involved in helping hermit crabs be freed of this terrible torture, then follow my lead. Together, united we will save these wild-born organisms. We can stop the abuse from occurring. Will you join the fight?
For info on how to stop abuse at a pet store near you visit: http://www.wikihow.com/Protest-Against- ... Pet-Stores
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!