What I think about Petco

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

What I think about Petco

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

I'm really angry at most pet stores in general, but because I don't know much about other pet stores, I'll just vent about my local Petco.
I adopted Gigantor yesterday from my local Petco. Because Gigantor was hiding under the little ramp in the tank, the associate had to move the ramp (which had hermit crabs on it), except instead of doing it in a gentle manner, she acted as if it was a present on Christmas. One poor hermie went flying, and a couple others where sent rolling backwards.Once she had grabbed Gigantor, she literally tossed the ramp back down, which had hermies on it. At least Gigantor was in an unpainted shell. Speaking of shells, they had a whole bunch of shells for sale, but none of then would fit my hermies! It made me soooooooooooooooo angry!
Now that I've explained about Petco, I've composed a small little "poem" about how hermit crabs in pet stores might feel:

While I suffer in this so called tank,
I've begun to wonder, begun to think,
Why am I even alive?
Why was I ripped from my beloved home?
It's not fair, I don't deserve to be crammed in a bin,
Torn from my shell, destroying me within.
Day after day, I sit miserably a-waiting
For someone else to love me again
Crying for help, give me a home,
Please, just get me out of this hell-hole.
I try my best to be a good crab
But how can I do that in this torture chamber?
Still, nobody comes, they quickly pass by, like I'm not even there, like I'm just a thread of thin air.
I don't even care anymore, do what you want with me,
Burn me, beat me, just kill me right now.
I've ran out of food and water.
So if you need me, I'll be in a better place.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: What I think about Petco

Post by ZuZu »

I feel the same. Last week on a shopping trip for some eco earth and maybe some treats… I took the doomed trip to the crabbie tank. Well they seem to have eliminated the painted shell thing. BUT! Mold, flies, damp sponge, commercial food, half log, ?plastic fish bowl?, only one lonely crab. Soon to be named Sharky, and loved by me. I bought him then and there. When I pointed out the lonely guy to an employee, She just stuck her hand in the smelly tank and knocked everything over for who knows why,(he was sitting out in the open see.) grabbed the crab roughly and thrust him into a plastic container. And handed him over without a second glance. Another time…
At another petsmart… my brother has hermies but really doesn’t care for them, I always do everything for him. ^) When he got HIS little crustaceans the worker that helped us was mean, and horribly uneducated. We call her: Mullet lady. I asked if I could handle the crabs and she said, “oh no. not since the last time someone asked. The crab pinched and hung on until we got it off with a screwdriver.”
“Urhm… a screwdriver?”
“Yes, these crabs are horrible, all they do is die. You may want to get a fiddler crab, they are much more fun.”
“well. I am fine with hermit crabs, I have owned mine for years.”
“Ok. Whatever.”
wha... :'( so sad.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

Exactly my point. If I was one of those kids in the hospital with like a tumor or something, and the Make-A-Wish foundation came, I'd ask to make a speech broadcast live all over the world about hermit crabs and how they're not "throwaway" pets.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

"All they do is die."

Isn't that an indicator that the one keeping them is 'horrible' and incompetent?
Wai