This kind of made me laugh

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

This kind of made me laugh

Post by emmac350 »

I found this site through the Addiction forum - it's basically an article by a lady saying how hermit crabs make lousy pets. However, her argument (while she's not entirely well-informed - she talks about how crabs NEED calci-sand and sponges) is fairly valid - she discusses how limbs fall off, molting and not being able to tell if the crab is alive or dead, and the expenses of all the stuff crabs actually need. Read away - maybe you'll get a laugh out of it too!

http://www.pej.org/html/modules.php?op= ... =0&thold=0
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35

Re: This kind of made me laugh

Post by Sterwick »

I saw it on the Addiction forum too. I agree with many of the things she is saying mind and I know you had a strong opinion towards many of the things she was saying.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I agree with many things that lady said, except for the calcium sand and sponges.
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Sterwick »

Yeah same here, although they are mainly a young-children market, I really don't think they're suitable for young children. She's right- they do make lousy pets- they are really a more of a captive animal than a pet, they are to be fascinated by, not to be adored by the children because they like the horrible painted shells.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Hermit crabs are not lousy pets if they are properly cared for. I have never once thought of mine as being lousy. On the other hand (as with the common everyday crabber who does no research), they would make lousy pets.

The lousiness of hermit crabs does not depend on the hermit crabs themselves, but their owner's ability to research, comprehend and accept proper hermit crab care techniques.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I think that how crabs are as pets depends more on what you expect from them. If you expect a pet that will greet you excitedly when you come into the room, that will climb all over you, cuddling and obviously enjoying its time with you, then crabs aren't the right pet for you - you will be much more likely to say that they are 'lousy pets.' If you're expecting to have pets that excite you even though they really don't care much about you (mine don't come running to the edge of the tank when I walk in the room, they run away usually haha) and that you can use to challenge yourself to learn more about a varied group of subjects and that you can maybe even help the world understand better, hermit crabs are for you. If you want a dog or a cat, don't get a crab or you'll be disappointed. If you are the type who just wants to watch the pets and be what my husband calls a "forensic crab-ologist" (figuring out, CSI style, what they did the night before while we were sleeping), you won't be disappointed.

I think that's the difference. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Sterwick »

Hermit crabs are not lousy pets if they are properly cared for. I have never once thought of mine as being lousy. On the other hand (as with the common everyday crabber who does no research), they would make lousy pets.
I meant in the perspective of a poor-knowledged crabber, I see them as great captive animals and they always fascinate me. Honestly Wai i'm really finding you unpleasent. I don't get this kind of attitude in the addiction forum. If you want to delete this post I'm fine.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Oh sorry, I just realised that the way I worded my post made you feel as though I was referring to you as one who does no research and that I was a show-off who definitely knew how to care for them properly. I swear I didn't intend to do so. :( *slaps forehead* -.-

If you find me unpleasant for other reasons as well, let me know and I'll try my best to make you feel more welcome.
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Sterwick »

I understand that I'm doing things I shouldn't be. I've looked through the rules and everything but do keep telling me if i've made mistakes.

Stevo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

That's okay Sterwick, I'm glad we got the confusion sorted. I'll be more careful how I word things in the future. XD
Wai