Victoria's worst pet store

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Victoria's worst pet store

Post by Wai »

I nickname Coburg Aquarium as the "Hermit Crab Hell". Below are two photos that I took with my phone while none of the staff were looking. The photos were taken on 20 May 2009, at 1:59 pm.

I'm not sure how the pet stores in Australia's other states are going, but I hope they aren't as bad as this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Victoria's worst pet store

Post by Hermie's rule »

WOW! That is pretty bad. No substrate, nothing. :@ Couldn't something be done about that or have they refused to change, or what?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai where abouts compared to where Vanessa lives/lived are you? Reason I ask is within the area's she lived a couple years ago there was an organization of some sort and within Australian laws that did protect hermies.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I think Vanessa is still in New South Wales, the state immediately north of Victoria. I am in central Victoria. I seem to have lost contact with Vanessa. She hasn't been replying to my emails... either that or Gmail is gobbling them up before they get to me.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It doesn't appear she is replying to any e-mails for a VERY long time, just a rare occasional one does anybody get. But seems Aus. use to have laws that would protect that had the "Any living animal" type law within it. Hermies are considered "Living" and fell into that category unlike here in the U.S. where too many times it was clearly stated, "warm blooded" mammals, reptiles...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Ok, questions:

1. Is there even SUBSTRATE in that tank???
2. Is there even FOOD in that tank???
3. Is there even a CRAB in that tank???

8|
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

1. No substrate. Instead, the tank floor is covered with cold water up to five millimetres.
2. There was no food dish, so the hermit crabs had to eat the wood or eat each other.
3. There were at least ten survivors in the tank, but they were all trying to keep out of the water.
Wai
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by anniehorsekrab »

I think maybe they got confused with LAND hermit crabs and WATER hermit crabs. -.- (!) (?)
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Wai, is there no way you could comment to these people about their crab tank?

I know I have a hard time at my own pet store, as I've not approached them right (apparently) and all I get are patronizing smiles and nods. Nothing ever changes. At least they have two water dishes and food for the crabs (I check the water every time I go in and let them know if it's dry) even if it is all open to the air, and the substrate is only about 1/4" of sand.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I might go to Coburg Aquarium today. If they only have four or less surviving hermit crabs in the tank, I will adopt them all. I'll give them a copy of HCP's care sheet too and try to help them fix up that hellish tank of theirs. The poor hermit crabs have to live through chilly nights with no heat source! :(
Wai