Oh. My. God.

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
rileyup
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Re: Oh. My. God.

Post by rileyup »

you could possibly tell them that if you take better care of the hermit crabs which would help prevent death,in return would help them save money ,or that dead hermies repel people
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Re: Oh. My. God.

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

Well, that's just how pet stores decided to treat their animals. But what you experience sounds a bit extreme as far as hermit abuse. Pet stores just don't get the fact that hermit crabs need love too, and sometimes it makes you wonder if they think of the hermit crabs as a nuisance.
I experienced a sad pet-store-hermit-crab-moment. I was at Petco, and I asked the associate if I could hold a hermit crab. So the lady scooped a crab out gently, and handed it to me. Oddly enough, this particular crab did not hide in its shell, or pinch me. So when she put it back, it somersaulted out of her hand and into the tank. Luckily, it was still alive. Then I noticed about 3 dead crabs in the tank, and I had to point them out to her, and then she said, "Oh. Well, that's okay." It sounded as if she had broken a nice cup she had, not found 3 dead animals! >[ That made me really angry, but I said nothing. And then we left.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo