ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Banjo has a black spot

Post by ladybug15057 »

From the picture it does look more like a puncture with a scab. How he got it? Dunno, but many have used ocean water (a drop or two of it) and it has worked well. The black to me reminds me of a form of a scab hermies get. Vanessa (E) had one on her feeder claw with one of her surprise molts and was attacked in my main tank. Even when she molted about a month later, the puncture mark was still there and black. Now a few years later... can't even tell she was mutilated or any scaring left. If I were you, I would just continue with the ocean water drops.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

Thanks!

Banjo has switched back into her really small babylonian shell....wonder if she's going to molt again...?
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Possibly? As odd as it sounds here there are a few hermies here who will do that. They move into a shell that is way to small for them, but when they do molt they fit down in the shell.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

ladybug15057 wrote:Possibly? As odd as it sounds here there are a few hermies here who will do that. They move into a shell that is way to small for them, but when they do molt they fit down in the shell.
Yea she fit into it the last time afte she molted, and two days later switched into a more proper sized shell. Seems like she molts within a week of switching into her small shell.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

As I am quite sure you are aware of, E's are notorious for staying in the same shells until the cows come home! After our E's came home (other than Squirmy who is STILL in her same shell, and Vanessa.. who waited until she molted to swap) the did change shells. After that... NOTHING! They drove me nuts. But back in about the beginning of 2002 a member of another group asked a question... if anybody noted that their E's changed shells about 2 weeks before molting. Well golly dog gone we all began to watch for the E's shell changes and noted when they did change. And I would estimate that 95% of the E's did end up molting about 2 weeks after changing shells.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I guess she's headed for a molt again then! :) hopefully will be as successful as the first.

I need to buy a long piece of plexiglass so I can divide the tank lengthwise so both hermies have access to the warm and cool side of the tank in the future for molts...for now I just have to hope they will leave each other be.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Depending on how deep the wound actually is, it may take a couple molts for it to disappear. Vanessa's puncture took ...3 molts? but come the fifth molt even the raised 'bump' was hardly noticeable.
If you look closely towards the top of Vanessa's feeder claw, you will see her puncture.. the small black dot.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... Formed.jpg

Her first molt after her attack still left her deformed, (37 days later) and you can see the puncture more clearly here:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... incher.jpg

She molted yet again in 41 days she molted yet again and was a 'whole' hermie again!
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... acked-.jpg

and you can still make out where the puncture was. But can't even tell nowadays she had any wounds. :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

ladybug15057 wrote:Depending on how deep the wound actually is, it may take a couple molts for it to disappear. Vanessa's puncture took ...3 molts? but come the fifth molt even the raised 'bump' was hardly noticeable.
If you look closely towards the top of Vanessa's feeder claw, you will see her puncture.. the small black dot.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... Formed.jpg

Her first molt after her attack still left her deformed, (37 days later) and you can see the puncture more clearly here:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... incher.jpg

She molted yet again in 41 days she molted yet again and was a 'whole' hermie again!
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... acked-.jpg

and you can still make out where the puncture was. But can't even tell nowadays she had any wounds. :D
Good to know! Thanks for the pics!