emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Chip? Shell Rot?

Post by emmac350 »

I came into the office (room with the tank) a minute ago and Nibs was climbing on the top of the tank (going around the top of it on the inside like she does every night around this time) when I noticed a black spot on her BP. Closer inspection revealed that it was actually a hole in her BP with black something in it. I'm not sure whether it's shell rot or just a hole in it.

The questions now are how she got it (she climbs a TON, she's the most active crab I have) - maybe she fell inside of the tank onto something and crushed it? It seems like a lot of damage for such a short fall (tank's about 29 inches high including 4-5 inches of the light hood). If it's shell rot, I haven't seen it on anybody else (the suspicious spot on Toodles hasn't grown at all, and I'm convinced at this point that it's just coloring) so how could she get it?

My husband and I teamed up to get some pictures, but only one really turned out well.

Clearest_Pic
Not_As_Clear
Not_As_Clear2

I'm torn on whether to ISO her - It would be much more, for lack of a better term, boring for her. She's literally been around the entire tank's top (of the 30g) at least 5 times every day she's been in there. Do you think it's a threat to the other crabs? I think I'm going to get the medicinal bath from the Addiction store and see if it will inspire her to molt. If nothing else, it will keep the bacteria out of the wound and keep her from secondary infections.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Chip? Shell Rot?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Emma for now if it were me I would iso her for about a week and keep a close eye on it to see if it gets any worse. Shell rot should show signs of worsening, where as a 'scar' wouldn't. In the first clear picture it looks to me like she lost a hunk of her pincher? Look at my Vanessa's picture from when she was mutilated during a surprise molt in my main tank. She also had a puncture in the upper part of her feeder pincher that was black too. It is easier to see in this picture Due to the lack of limbs, her first molt after the attack she was a little deformed. All I did was keep an eye on her in iso, and a couple times a day I put a drop of ocean water on the open wounds.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, it's like a chunk was just missing. I hadn't seen it before, and because she spends most of her time around the top of the tank I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with why.

I get to see her fairly often (look at her often as she's the troublemaker) and she didn't have it yesterday when I found her in the same place.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Chances are then that this is a hunk she lost somehow. Shell rot does not work that fast... not for that size of exo missing.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I am pleased to report that Nibs has just surfaced after a successful molt. I treated her for a week with Vicki's medicinal bath on a daily basis to keep down the risk of infection, then she started digging, going down for good a few weeks later. She was up today, still with a visible mark on her claw but with it all closed over, meaning it should be completely invisible next molt.

Mommy to:

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Glad to hear it Emma! We do worry so about them don't we, and it feels good that there's at least something we can do to help them. So glad she's doing better! Hurray!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.