emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Hmm...

Post by emmac350 »

I took a close look at Toodles today (she came up a few days ago, presumably from a molt as her leg tips are crazy sharp!) as I thought I saw an odd spot on the segment above her BP. She has some brightly colored areas on her exo - she's an E but has reddish orange accents on her BP, legs, etc. But on the upper segment of her BP, it looks like the color got chipped off, if that makes sense. It's a super tiny spot where it's dark in the middle of color, and I haven't gotten a clear picture of it yet. Is there any way to tell if it's shell rot as opposed to just an interesting looking marking or the result of her scraping herself (and can crabs even scrape themselves like we do?)?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hmm...

Post by vckums »

Maybe her leg was resting against something when she molted and that caused the discoloration? I"d keep an eye on it, see if it gets bigger.
Vicki
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Thanks, Vicki! It doesn't appear to have gotten any worse, although she's been in the cholla every time I walk by so I can't get too close of a look at it.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

That sounds like a good explanation Vicki, I think we forget to let our minds go that way, we just freak out (me!) because things don't seem right. :D
It's so good to have the help of other crabbers! #D
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by vckums »

I have my share of freakouts lol I think it's easier to see outside the box when you're not the one having the freak out session. :P
Vicki
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

That's why I love the forums I'm on, Vicki. Without these, I'd just be freaking out all the time.

Mommy to:

vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by vckums »

Hehehehe...More brains more ideas to share. Someone may think of something you didn't and so on. Since nothings really set in stone with these critters it's good to get information out there to think about.
Vicki