hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

New Hermie has black patches on him

Post by hermiemommy101408 »

I just bought 2 more hermies from petsmart i noticed when i got home that 1 of them had black on him. What is it and how do i take care of him? He's the most socialable, loves to climb and hes the most active out of all 4 of them. Here's a pic of him to get a better understanding. Image
Wonderful Loving Parent to... 6 Hermies.... Chripy, (RIP)Skitty, Lilo, Noni, Fibber, & Jumbaliah--- 5 Dogs... Stitch, Wishbone, Kiki, Toby (RIP) Budwiser

My website is http://www.hermie-frenzy.webs.com
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: New Hermie has black patches on him

Post by CrabbyJo »

Wow Hermiemommy, that looks bad :( I myself don't have any idea what it might be, but I sure hope you've got him iso'd. Maybe its something akin to the shell rot, and maybe he'd change into a new shell? Does he have the spots on his body too?

How about trying the suggestion of bathing him with some fish antibiotic meant for treating fish bacterial problems?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I've heard lots of success stories about using the medicinal bath from the Addiction store. It's gotten rid of crabs' bacterial infections and such....maybe it'd work on him?

The other possibility is that it is just his coloring. I know some of my guys have a black line up their legs...so could that be it?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Is there any possible way to get a close up clear shot of what you're talking about? It might just be his coloring. Does it look opened at all?
The fish antibiotic is suggested not to use with hermies... tetracycline.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote

ladybug15057 wrote:Is there any possible way to get a close up clear shot of what you're talking about? It might just be his coloring. Does it look opened at all?
The fish antibiotic is suggested not to use with hermies... tetracycline.
i noticed that his shell is chipping i did not know before hand that his shell was painted due to the shell being dull and dirty so i am going tomorrow and getting bigger shells and hopefully Jumba will change shells. what exactly do you mean by "does it look opened at all?" Here's the clearest picture i could take of him he was very skittish (hes camera shy lol) Image
Wonderful Loving Parent to... 6 Hermies.... Chripy, (RIP)Skitty, Lilo, Noni, Fibber, & Jumbaliah--- 5 Dogs... Stitch, Wishbone, Kiki, Toby (RIP) Budwiser

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I think what she meant is whether the black stuff appears to be eating away at his exo. Like, is it an "open wound" so to speak?

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote

emmac350 wrote:I think what she meant is whether the black stuff appears to be eating away at his exo. Like, is it an "open wound" so to speak?
Thank you for clearing that up and no it isnt open. Most of his exo is black and at the ends of his legs are whitish and red.

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I think that's just your particular crab's coloring. Keep an eye on it and if it looks like his exo is getting thinner or like it's getting "eaten away" then you should be worried. Otherwise, he should be fine.

Mommy to:

hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote

k thanks i was really worried but now im not thanks so much

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Emma was correct in what I was asking. From what I can tell in the second picture even is that this is just his natural coloring. If it were a little clearer I would also guess that this hermie is in premolt due to the way the center part of his legs appear much darker than the outside part of his legs. Some hermies when they begin to loosen their old exo from the new exo will get this trait of coloring to their legs as well as their large pinchers.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.