ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Eating infected exoskeletons

Post by ladybug15057 »

It certainly doesn't look normal to me, but then again I have not actually 'seen' Aussie exo's in person. It is thought that a hermie will not eat their exo if there is something wrong with it. If you think he has any form of disease I would certainly keep him away from the others. Shell rot is not the only disease crustaceans can catch. I could be mistaken, but I thought shell rot was blackened type markings/indents on the hermies exo.
Possibly it is this:
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... t+Syndrome

There are a couple diseases here and another on page 2. Or Prawns. Troppo was from Aus. and it seemed she had a couple hermies she got from a certain store that were infected.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Eating infected exoskeletons

Post by Wai »

Vicki reckons that it might just be calcium deficiency, so I've placed a dish of calcium carbonate powder in front of him. He has been eating some of it.

I cracked open the shed leg to give the inside a look. The spots are regions where the inner white layer of the exoskeleton is missing.
Wai