RIP Aussie's Clan

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

RIP Aussie's Clan

Post by aussieJJDude »

As many may know; I was lucky enough to brave the warm tropical country of New Caledonia during one of Melbourne's worst weeks in winter. Of course this meant that Murphy's law will come into play... AS you can guessed; I must of had a power surge. I come back not only to a freezing 53F (12c) temperature on my normally 80F (27c) fish tank - long story short; most of the fish died; except the hardy few which I have no idea on how they survived.
As you can probably guess; something similar also happened with my hermit crab clan. Fortunately I came back to a nice tropical tank 77F (25c); however the physical strain on low temperatures must of put them to the breaking point (as for some unknown reason; my room gets the coldest fast). Thinking nothing of it after coming back - after all it heater was working; maybe it was just the fish tank - I soon came to the point where there was no sounds inside my tank; it was dead silent. And to keep this without vivid mental pictures; all hermies had died (pretty much frozen).

Currently I still feel it best to hold off from purchasing hermies and re-evaluate my methods of keeping them. Not to mention that this is currently building up towards the end of year school; so exams have begun creeping into my mind. So feeling it's best to give my hopefully future hermies the best start I can give them; it's best to wait until my life begins to run down. Of course my insane curiosity surrounding crustaceans can't be ignored so a close friend "supplied" be with a small colony of Cherry shrimp which provides me a small starting point in what he calls the "healing process".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feeling it is best to come clean and tell you guys of my hardships. It important to note that every day might be your last, so take opportunity to surround yourself with loved ones (which also includes your pets! :) ) However my main reason in sharing with you is to highlight the importance of insulation; I probably would of had a happy colony today if I had better insulation happening; so please for your crabs sake, insulate the tanks to the best of your ability. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: RIP Aussie's Clan

Post by Ginger »

Oh my Goodness Aussie, I am incredibly sorry for your loss, I feel like *I* might cry, but I partially understand how you feel as it has happened to me with camping, a heat wave, the neighbours and my beloved chicken. All I can hope is that your efforts will pay off for your future out of school, those cherry shrimp will help, and your warnings will be taken with zeal by others - I certainly will, thank you. Ginger.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Post by POPPIT »

Im sorry for the lose of your crabby clan Aussie (We just lost our 11 year old cat Oscar yesterday so your not alone)...It was an awful thing but not at all your fault....Good luck with your Cherry Shrimp and any future Hermies you adopt.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

So sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. It's good to learn from others misfortunes, I know I wouldn't have thought about extra backup insulating a tank in case of power failures before heading off on a holiday but now I will.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Aussie! I can't imagine losing all of them at once like that. I hope you can get things figured out and tweak your setup so this doesn't happen again in the future. Boo on bad weather while you're gone...that's not fair.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Thanks guys for the support! I glad through my pains; I'm able to educate others and hope they don't make the same mistakes like I do.
Once again;
thanks guys.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sorry to hear of your loss. What a heart breaker. :'(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by Carrie »

I'm so sorry to hear about this loss... so sad. I lost most of my crabs when my tank overheated while most of them were down molting, so I know what it's like to lose a bunch at once. I still feel awful... and I have started over... it's hard but it can be done.
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

*hugs* I'm sorry to hear your loss too. I totally get what you mean the pain of loosing a bunch at once. It really does make you stop and think if your worth crabbing.
But starting over. That was one of the hardest things I could of done. At the start I really did think that it wasn't worth the effort.

Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by Carrie »

I started out wondering what right I had to even try again, and I worry about the crabs a lot... but I focus on what I can do for these crabs now in the present, even if I didn't manage to save the ones in the past. I have to keep my focus on the crabs I have now or I just get lost in the grief again... and that takes me nowhere. I try to think that these crabs I have now wouldn't be here if not for thee ones gone before... right now they are all under and I am worried about them. But they've got the absolute best conditions any crabs of mine had ever had, and I know they are where they need to be. Still worried tho.. lol. One day at a time, I think it is..
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.