R.I.P REBEL

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

R.I.P REBEL

Post by POPPIT »

After waiting for over 2 months i gently dug up Rebel who had passed away a while ago..she had managed to shed all of her exoskeleton but didn't eat any of it and passed away while hardening i assume...I have lost all three of my crabs which i bought 13th April 2015 on the same day from the same store...Im not sure what happened as i tried so hard to have a decent crabitat...Rebel was a confident explorer right from the start and was always out exploring and changing shells...R.I.P Rebel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bradee23
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 2

Re: R.I.P REBEL

Post by bradee23 »

well sorry to tell you this and im sorry for your loss, but based off the photos you have, that dyed sand looks toxic and not very deep.you must have at least 6 inches of eco earth, or sand if you absulutely have to. but eco earth works way better for land hermies. and im not sure if you did every day but you must also mist the cage and the hermies of coarse with salt water in a spray bottle. im not saying you took bad care of them but you may have just not known. but its all right. you just need these things done:

atleast a 10 gallon glass tank with lid, not a wire cage. there are around 15 bucks at walmarts if there are any nearby.
salt water and fresh water. both declorinated with declorintor. and no table salt for salt water. go to any pet store and ask for instant ocean sea salt and declorinator. those together should be around 10 to 12 dollars.
eco earth coconut fiber. a big bag should be no more than 10 to 20 dollars.
under tank heater. these keep heat in the tank. a small should be about 8 dollars while a large is about 20 dollars. it just depends on your tank size.
then the last thing you actuelly need to buy for the basic setup itself if a hydrometer and thermometer. one with both of those combined is about 2 dollars.
so thats the absulute things they need just to live. all that together is about 50 dollars worth of stuff for your hermies.

the things to make your hermies happy is what im listing now

a BUDDY!!! they a buddy to interact with and be social! depending on where you go and what species you get the price will range from about 6 dollars to even 20 if you get something like a blueberry or a strawberry hermit crab.

next they need things to climb on. choya or cholla wood is about 3 dollars for one piece
then they need a hut or half log to chill in the shade with.those range from three to six dollars
shells! they need shells if you already know to grow into after they molt. for each crab get atleast 2 shells each. for shells im not actuelly 100% sure how much they are but dont ever get painted shells. there toxic to crabs. if you buy a hermie with a painted shell, then hope to god that he will change out of it.
well thats about it. i hope i helped you enough. if you need any more help contact me @
once again im sorry for your loss a i pray that rebel is okay up in hermie heaven
a hidey hole. so this way they can relax in the shade

EDITED BY MODERATOR: Do not put your personal contact info in a post. If desired you can be contacted through the private messaging on this forum.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Re: R.I.P REBEL

Post by POPPIT »

Hi bradee....that crappy crabitat was a temp for 3 days including the coloured sand until i set up a better crabitat...Thank you for the info but i already have applied what you have listed...im going to post pics of my current set up ( only 5.5 gallons but its all i can fit for now)....Please check out the pics in the tanks section to comment on my tank...i welcome any advice that is helpful...Hermit crab accessories are very hard to come by here which is pretty annoying....Thanks again.