Sheldon

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Sheldon

Post by MomofFive »

After 15 days with us Sheldon left us!
I will never forget that smell and the sad sight when he fell out of his Shell! Did not think it would hit me so hard after such a short time.
My first Petco, way too small, broken, painted shell rescue. (Ironically their return policy ended today!) We celebrated earlier that we didn't have to use it!!!
I do feel like a failure now! Tried so hard to meet all his needs... He looked so handsome in his new Shell and seemed just fine... It seems I still have a lot to learn!

15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total tanks: 4

Re: Sheldon

Post by CrabbyJo »

So sorry to hear about Sheldon :( It is very likely that since there was a hole in his shell, his abdomen had been drying out, and he was going to be leaving soon anyway. It's just good that he got to move to a new home before he went. :(
You did the best you could for him, don't feel like a failure. He had a lot going against him, and you really tried. Sheldon came to you so you could learn from him, there is never failure, especially if you take something away that will improve the lives of other crabs.
Thank you for trying with him, you saw he needed help, and you did your best to give it. He's now climbing happily with all our other little hermit crabs in that rainbow in the sky.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total tanks: 3

Re: Sheldon

Post by MomofFive »

Thanks a lot for your kind words!
It was tough on my 2 daughters! They are my youngest (7and 9) and there were a lot of tears...
I am happy that I found your reply! I read it to them, and it made them feel a lot better!
We wont give up and keep on Crabbing!!!
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)