Poor new Hermie passed

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
newkrabbie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8

Re: Poor new Hermie passed

Post by newkrabbie »

Hi guys.....as far as honey goes, I just put some on a small lid and put it in the tank. I have actually seen Brutus ( my newest and biggest) head straight for the honey to eat. I still have only 8 in my tank because 2 others died recently, for no apparent reason. The hermies are my babies and I check on them constantly to make sure temp and hum. is right, no bugs in the tank etc etc.
I have one question though..... do they mate? I would love to have some tiny babies but have no clue as to how that would happen in the crabworld.
Any ideas? >]
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

No, they won't. Unless you can create an artificial ocean and beach, they won't mate. They mate in the ocean, and then the zoea come to land.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
PhoEniX212
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by PhoEniX212 »

Yeah, crustaceans often have pretty involved mating processes, and crabs are no different there lol. I think how it works is that the females release their fertilised eggs into the ocean, where the salt water triggers hatching, and the young stay there until their gills develop to the stage where they can get oxygen from the sir (it's actually a very similar concept to human babies, they develop inside the mother in a sac of fluid until their lungs are developed enough to breathe air)
PhoEniX212 (Emma)
GregGorden
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

That's interesting. I know it's difficult to breed hermies in captivity and you have to be really experienced for it to work.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

I don't think that there's been any successful breeding in captivity yet. Some of them have had eggs, and they hatch into Zoea, but they usually die within 10 days, thus, no successful breeding. They would have to reach the Juvenile stage to be successful. If I ever win the lottery, I know what I'm doing with a big chunk of the money. ;)
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
PhoEniX212
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by PhoEniX212 »

Yeah, from what I read, 10 days seems to be the longest that the zoea have survived in captivity. I wonder what age hermies are when they are able to start reproducing? Generally in the animal world when it comes to offspring, animals are successful when they have survived long enough to reproduce. Just that all animals have different levels of care and ways they go about getting their offspring to survive to maturity lol
PhoEniX212 (Emma)
GregGorden