Jumbo Passed Away about 12 years old

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Jumbo Passed Away about 12 years old

Post by babesbarn »

-.- It was a hard decision to "look" for Jumbo but he was "under" since November. I have to admit he was my favorite because he was gigantic and I believe about a good year old when I already got him. He was 12 years old and gave us much joy! Living in the Northeast is a challenge for anyone who has a Hermit Crab Family to take care of. But he lost his "mate" and I DO believe they mate for life. The one Female he was always hanging out with passed a year ago. She had babies a year before that! First time EVER in all the years she was in the tank. Naturally I knew nothing of how the babies need moving water so they died I guess as they hit the water dish. Was ugly but it was interesting enough that I was able to video Jumbo and his Girlfriend "Scout" as they were doing it. lols.
Getting back to Jumbo passing-The 55 gallon Tank for the two remaining crabbies (Spiderman (woman) and Mudslide) seemed senseless since they always stayed in the coconut shell since around March. They stayed clear of the area where I found Jumbo. I have a smaller spare tank that I set up to transfer the two ladies into since a big 55 gallon tank was no longer going to be needed. I am 72 now and the maintenance is pretty heavy so rather than getting more Hermit Crabs, I will just keep the ones remaining until their days come too.
I say goodbye to my Jumbo and Thanks for the laughs and the entertainment and the understanding I gained just by watching him communicate.
I feel that these Hermit Crabs Mate for life when they are isolated with just a few around. Jumbo seemed lonely with out his friend who use to check out the new things and come back and share the news so Jumbo could go investigate.
Yeah, there is a story to all my hermit crabs. I wish I was younger and do not know what I am going to do with this gigantic tank but I guess will offer it for sale. Interesting, Jumbo lived as long as my grandsons dog. When I told my grandson about that he just looked at me in awe.
The first thing I found was one of his claws. He was pretty much no longer in the shell and there was his abdomen way down in this huge shell the size of a baseball! But he was gone, and I am relieved to get it over with as I loved him. I love them ALL! Thank you for letting me tell my story here. Goodbye Jumbo!