Jpriest454
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Crabs shell fighting

Post by Jpriest454 »

So my two hermits have recently been fighting over a shell. It's a painted shell that one had finally moved out of, but before i could remove it from the tank my other one moved in. The shell is way too big for her and painted, but thats not the big problem. The problem is the other crab wants his shell back. Ive woken up plenty of times in the night to find my larger crab claw deep in his old shell trying to pry her out and chirping up a storm. Ive bought enough shells that the tank could essentially be paved in them, but the two are just adamant about this one painted shell.

I have no idea if removing the little one from the shell is the right move since she's usually extremely shy and never comes out of her shell when im near. I worry for her the most since that three sizes too big shell must be difficult to move in, and my larger crab always trying to evict her has got to be causing her all sorts of worries. She's small enough that his big meaty claws can't reach far enough back to get to her but that doesnt mean he ever gives up. I often find myself having to pull him off myself and set them apart so he'll stop. (No idea if thats the right thing to do. Im new at this.)

Does anyone have some advice to hopefully end this spat these two are having?
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Re: Crabs shell fighting

Post by StellaCrab »

Hi Jpriest454! :)

It's very important to provide your hermit crabs with a minimum of three shells each, there is no maximum rule for how many shells you can have, but there are incorrect shells to buy. If you don't provide enough shells, they will either just be forced to grow larger and more uncomfortably into their small shell, or fight a crab with a shell that they want, it's very common for them to do this if they need a shell or like a particular one that another crab is wearing. I never suggest restricting the limit of shells for your crabs.

You should never ever try to remove a crab from a shell, that will be very hard to do as a hermit crab holds on to its shell for dear life, and will not give into being removed, but instead drop its limbs if forced to. Instead, place a bunch of new options in your crabitat after boiling them, you can even dip them in marine salt water to encourage them to check them out :)

I hope this helps you, good luck!