steponmesd
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 16
Total tanks: 2

Hermit Crab Moulted & Now Won't Move After Attack

Post by steponmesd »

Hi. I bought 3 hermit crabs last week, and when I bought them I was given completely incorrect information about tank size, humidity, food, etc. (all of this is fixed now). But before I was able to fix these issues, I had 3 hermit crabs in a 5.5 gallon tank. On the 4th day that my new hermit crabs were in their new home, I noticed that one of the crabs had taken another crab's shell off! I immediately took the aggressive crab and put him in a small container while I gave the victim crab his shell back. He immediately went back into his shell, but after that, he retreated into a little cave. I had to place the aggressive crab back into the tank because the container I had was too small, and I didn't have an appropriate isolation tank. To make sure that another fight didn't break out, I moved the substrate around so that my victim crab (in his hut) sat at an elevated level compared to the 2 other crabs. I stayed up all night to make sure that the 2 other crabs couldn't get to the victim crab. When morning came, I immediately went to buy a 10 gallon tank. I stored the 2 other crabs (the aggressor and the 3rd crab in the 10 gallon tank (which is always kept at >70% humidity and 72-80 degrees Fahrenheit, with salt water and fresh water pools and a bowl of fresh fruits, nuts, corn, and eggs, with moss and plenty of hiding areas and climbing toys), and I kept the victim crab in the 5.5 gallon tank. I moved things around a bit and added a salt water bath, a freshwater bath, a bowl of fresh food, moss, sand (I previously only had coconut fiber/soil), and 8 empty shells. 5 days have passed since the attack occurred. A couple days ago, my victim crab shed his exoskeleton, and I can see that he has eaten a majority of it. However, he has not moved from his little hut- not even for water! He also has not changed into a new shell, and he stays on the surface. I can tell that he is alive because when I turn on the lights, I can see him move his antennae very, very slightly. I am getting worried about my poor crab! Is he okay? I want to keep him in the isolation tank for at least another couple weeks, as I am scared that the aggressive crab will fight him again (even though the aggressive crab has no problems with the 3rd crab). Please give me any advice you have to make sure that my poor crab will be okay!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hermit Crab Moulted & Now Won't Move After Attack

Post by Wai »

Hermit crabs usually take longer than a week to fully recover from a moult; don't worry about him being dormant for this time being, just make sure the other crabs can't touch him for another week or two until he has fully hardened his exoskeleton.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Hermit Crab Moulted & Now Won't Move After Attack

Post by ladybug15057 »

Molters give off a certain aroma that is very appealing to the other hermies. Sadly this in itself can turn on natures natural instinct. If the hermie is fine with the other room mates, it very well maybe the aroma that is turning his natural instinct on. Try boosting the chitin in their diet.
For the exo hardening, there have been times in the past where some molters take longer to harden even after eating their exo. Some have found they needed to offer a dry substrate to help them harden. The damp substrate has a tendency of keeping the new exo soft.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.