Arirang
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Ricky is bullying Fred :(

Post by Arirang »

Hello, all. I have four hermies- Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel. Recently, Ricky has been shell-fighting Fred, despite the fact that there are other well-fitting shells readily available. I honestly think it's the color- Fred has the only appropriately-sized black-and-white shell in the crabitat, while Ricky sports green.

Side note- these are natural shells. I don't do painted.

The first time, I mistook it for some bizarre mating thing, mistaking Fred for Lucy (who also has the same type of shell, but is slightly smaller). Ricky was locked onto the opening of the shell and not letting go. Indeed, I had to separate them after two days, carefully slipping each of Ricky's walkers around the rim of the shell to loosen his grip and pry him off (being extremely careful the entire time, focusing my efforts on removing individual legs and never pulling on his shell). I isolated Ricky overnight with several appropriate-sized shells, none of which he took, then put him back the next day.

Things went well until today. Ricky's now doing the more familiar rocking movement I expect with a shell fight, not blocking the entrance of Fred's shell. I was wondering if this is okay, or if I should consider (which I don't want to do) setting up a second crabitat and separating Ricky into it with some new friends (maybe Carolyn Applebee and Tallulah Bankhead?)

Guidance please!