JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

why are they fighting?

Post by JennyHermit »

First i got Hershey, then few weeks later, i got Chessnut. when i put them in the tank together, they faught twice, then stopped. they havent faught since! is this natural, were they seeing whos the domannt one(budgies do that... LOL no relation to crabs thoooo...!)? PLZ REPLY!! THANKS!!! -.-
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
R.I.P, Chessnut! we miss you!!!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Re: why are they fighting?

Post by Purple pinchers »

Did you ISO chessnut first? When you get a new crab you have to ISO them for 1-2 weeks (longer if needed). While the crab is in the ISO you can watch for signs of sickness, missing limbs, etc. ISO also helpes them calm down and rid stress. The new crab is going to be very stressed out from being snached up, then shipped to the petstore, then liveing in the petstore, then comeing home with you. After being so stressed out they will try to attack any crab they see. Thats why is always good to ISO new crabs first.
Or it could be a small domanant, just keep a eye out on them.
*Pack Rat*
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote

Post by JennyHermit »

I think its dominance... mainly bacause it was Hershey who came up to Chess and started it, and Chess kept trying to run away, but the Hershey I think grabed on to her shell, and ik that that's a sign of shell fighting, but she gave up after 2 tries... No idea...
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

Do they have plenty of diffrent size shells?
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Again Purple Pinchers has given sound advice. Were they both bathed in the same water (dipped in the same water pond) prior to being introduced in NEURAL territory? (and as Purple P said, they do need to be iso'ed when new, when new they still feel the need to fight for the necessities they need to survive.)
They will go through an alpha hermie situation where one will be dominant. But if anybody notes large pinchers flying about... they need to be separated into different tanks so not to harm/kill each other.
Unless one is sitting outside of the tank 24/7 one cannot know what is happening while they are at school, sleeping, shopping, etc.

Please note, when members reply to postings it is in attempts of helping another.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote

Post by JennyHermit »

Yes, I've got about 6-7 different shells in there. And I did introduce them in nutral teritory, but didn't dip them in water... Oh and sorry, I forgot to IOS them. Is it to late to do it now?
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

They are together now so may as well leave them be unless you see any other aggressive behavior. (keep in mind, antenna fencing, and large pincher pushing can be dominance, but large open pincher action... time to separate for awhile)
But IMO, a dip in the deep pond so they both smell the same couldn't hurt any. 6-7 different shells... are they appropriate for the hermie species (purple pinchers seem to prefer the turbo style shells with round openings to fit their rounded torsos) How much larger/smaller are they compared to what they are wearing> How often do you boil them to take the 'scent' off of them, let them cool and re-offer them? By boiling the shells and offering them back it makes them seem like new shells to the hermies.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote

Post by JennyHermit »

To be honest, I never boiled them... ill do that ASAP. And um sorry for the confusion I meant like 2 different KINDS of shells, but 6-7 seperate(like... Having 3 pencils...(weird example!)) and ya they're turbo. Oh ya I'd better boil them RIGHT AWAY cause I just remembered I got them from the dollar store (I think they're for decorations!), and they prob have maybe some sort of chemicals!!!
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Shells from craft stores are used by some crabbers and they find some good deals too! They try to see as much as they can through the wrapping. Micheals, WalMart, and a couple other places sell shell baskets. Just check inside for any sharpness and very closely for any holes. (sometimes best to put water in the empty shell and look for a leak) Always boil even pet shop shells prior to offering. Sometimes the old resident may still be in the shell. :(
But with the shells crabbers hermies couldn't use they made some great looking items for their tanks like huts out of various items, climbing objects, etc.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote

Post by JennyHermit »

That's smart! I already made some earrings out of some little shells(too small for my hermies) that I got at the Bahamas!
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!