hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Ugly fight. Advice?

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

My jumbo indo decided he liked big daddys shell and decided he was going to have it. They got in a fight while i wasn't home and I found the my indo rippe off big daddys fighting claw and a leg. I put him in his own iso and he's been in there maybe 5days? he's in a 10 gallon with eco earth, a cave, fake plants, food, water, and a fake log to climb on. Temp and humidity are good aswell. I'm also asking if when I put him back in the main tank what should I watch out for other than aggressive behavior from him? Would big daddy hide away or stress out? I'm concerned for his sake as he only has a feeding claw and 3legs and his shell (I guess he found another one after his was takin. Thanks
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Ugly fight. Advice?

Post by Wai »

Keep Big Daddy isolated until he moults and regenerates part of his claw and leg. I wouldn't return him back in the main tank any time soon. He's probably very frightened at the moment.
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Ok thank you Wai, and as for Rex my indo what do I do with him? and how can I prevent anymore situations like this? I have many shells in there about 4 just for my in do the others each have 3 because they are the same size. I have 3 crabs in there but the one likes to stay dug down and rarely ever comes up.
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I'm not sure what to do with him. Can hermit crabs be tamed? Probably not. You could isolate Rex too, but if he ever gets interested in the shells that other crabs are wearing, he will attack them eventually.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

how can I prevent anymore situations like this? I have many shells in there about 4 just for my in do the others each have 3 because they are the same size.
Offer more shells, it appears that he is not happy with the selection for some reason. Or one can also attempt to trick the hermies by boiling the shells and re-offering them to remove the scent from them so they think they are new ones. But even with that, if none are comfy he may still become aggressive.
But a few years ago King Kong became aggressive with his 2 brothers. (my at the time jumbo's) For the 3 there were about 20 shells, but he was pms'y and just being crabby. Once in iso he was fine and bunkered down for 2 weeks and molted. Once he recovered, he was the sweet loving King Kong he was prior to becoming pms'y.

Edited to add: That was the first time he had done that, and has never done it since?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

I am ordering some jumbo shells from one of my step-fathers friends that owns a saltwater pet shop so I will see what I can get my hands on :) thanks ladybug
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I highly recommend plenty of seaweed, high protein foods and calcium, etc as he now nutrition is even more important since he has limbs to grow back. I had a crab that came up with only 3 legs, no pincers, and he went down to molt within 2 weeks, 3 weeks after that he had all his legs and claws! Smaller, which was adorable, but all there! I had made sure he got lots of really fresh foods and seaweed sources EVERY day, as well as protein and calcium and chitin.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Wow thats reallly cool!!! I'll try that to and see if he goes down to molt.