rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Locked Togher!

Post by rmbrmb »

My two new PP's are buddies. But, I saw them fighting over Squirt's shell! I removed Violet from Squrit and put Squrit in ISO to make sure he wasn't to damaged. Did I do the right thing? Should I wait untill Violet changes shells before I put them togher again?

P.S. Squrits molting. So I'll wait anyway.
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Locked Togher!

Post by Purple pinchers »

Yes I think you did do the right thing. I would also buy a few shells that look just like Squrits shell so they wont have to fight for one. You could try and wait for violet to change shells. But if she does not change then I would just put them back together with a few more shells and keep a eye on them for a few days.

Hope you luck :)
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What species of hermie is Violet? It does not necessarily mean she wants the style of shell Squirt has on, but that Violet is not comfortable in her current shell. If you have more than the 2 hermies Violet can/may go after the other hermie's shell too. If Violet is the un-comfy one she is the one who should go to iso. But I would recommend to keep Violet away from the others until she changes shells and you know she is satisfied with it. Shell fights can be quite ugly and sometimes deadly.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

Well I dont think she will fight for anyone elses shell. She and squrit are small and the others are large and they are both PP's and the other two are E's
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

hermies do not discern between size or species when it comes to shells. A hermie will go after a crab with a shell that is obviously too small or large, and doesn't "know" if it's right for him until he has a chance to poke his head in and then try it on for size. So you have to have several shells available for each crab, and if one is attacking others for their shell, they should be isolated with plenty of shells of the correct sizes for them. A few smaller, a few larger, a few the same size as the one they have.

The reason Ladybug asked about the species is that PP's prefer shells with rounded holes for the most part, generally turbos. E's may tend to prefer shells with D shaped openings, like Babylonias or Shark Eyes. There are always exceptions to this rule, though, but this holds true for most.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

Violets looking at a green turbo three times her size! WellI hope shes smart enough to not pick it.
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

How many turbo shells do you have and are any about the size she is currently in??
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

2 turbos and 2 rounded opening shells. 1 a bit small 2 a tiny bit bigger 1 the right size. Violet put on a turbo (just like squrits) then took it off and put on her green turbo again.
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!