lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

PP vs. E

Post by lilhoney42380 »

I have 4 crabs and 4 cocohuts so no fighting over the huts should occur. However, I just witnessed a fight between my PP and one of my Es. The E went into one of the cocohuts and the PP forced his way in, they clawed at each other for a few minutes and then the PP forced the E out. Should I have intervened?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: PP vs. E

Post by CrabbyJo »

Your crabs are going to exert some dominance behavior, which is completely normal, especially in the animal world. Even people do it! :)

usually there isn't fighting over cocohuts, it's more an act of dominance over the other crab, so the other crab is just getting away from the one that has asserted it's dominance. You may see the same crabs snuggling together in a cocohut eventually.

The only time you should intervene is if it turns into a shell fight, with one crab grabbing the other, usually from on top or behind, and "rocking" him in his shell. If big pincers come into play, it's best to intervene, because someone could lose a limb or at least his shell.

Make sure you have plenty of shells, at least three of slightly varying sizes for each crab you own.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

I've witnessed this happen a few more times since I last posted. The PP is always picking on the same E and the same cocohut. The E that he's doing this to is the smallest crab that I have. The PP also swipes at and pushes the biggest E, who is also the biggest crab in the tank, out of the way. The 3rd E never comes out of his shell to move around when the PP is active. He waits until the PP has moved on and is busy with other things before moving. The E's all seem to get along pretty well but it seems that the PP doesn't like any of them!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Sounds like he's really asserting his dominance :)
As long as it doesnt turn into a shell fight, it's best to leave them be as you have been. You will probably witness this behavior for sometime, but it should taper off eventually.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I see in your info with your post that you have a 10 gal tank, but you have 2 hermies? But in your post in this thread you have 4 hermies? What size are they? As in their shells, dime size, quarter size, golf ball, etc.? What are all the items you have in the tank, and the size of the dishes? You may also be noticing an over crowded aggressive situation.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

Sorry I have updated my info now. I upgraded to a 20g tank and 4 hermies. Hmmm, I guess 3 of them are the size of a golf ball and the other one is quarter sized. In the tank I have 2 fake vines that are suction cupped to the glass, 4 cocohuts, 2 pieces of fake wood, and 1 climbing branch. I have a saltwater dish and a fresh water dish in the tank at all times as well.

The water dishes are about the size of this:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204484/product.web

The food dish is a large seashell.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Perhaps get another PP? I'm not sure if that will treat the racism though hahaha.
Wai
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

*LOL* He was fine with the other PP that I had. He never displayed any dominance behavior over him that I witnessed.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Lilhoney, you say "had" when you speak of another pp. Do you not have it any more? Perhaps your little guy is lonely for more of his own kind. If you have mixed species, it's best to have at least two of each for them to be content. You might also want to look on freecycle or craig's list for a larger tank. You'd be amazed at how many people who would be willing to give up a 20 gallon for free!
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

Yeah the other PP that I had died so now I have the bully PP and 3 E's in a 20g tank. If I get another PP as a friend for the bully should I upgrade to a bigger tank?