cannibalism?

Questions about unexpected problems.
rafaelos
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5

cannibalism?

Post by rafaelos »

hi, i already mentioned this to a different forum but i want to know why my big crab ate my little one. for sure that they are not of the same kind but the other little ones werent harmed. please, would anyone know the reason so i could prevent it from happening again. thank you

im supposed to have 8 but ...

*one of the first 2 crabs that i got died... i dont know why, he just stopped moving and blood leaked from the shell..

*and one of my little ones died because it was eaten alive by a bigger crab....
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Re: cannibalism?

Post by HermieLove19 »

That sounds awful. I can't imagine why that would happen. I didn't know crabs bled like that. What did the other forums say when you asked? I never knew a crab could eat another one, just the exoskeleton if they were molting.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by vckums »

What foods are you offering your crabs? Crabs will resort to cannabilism if proteins are not given to them daily. Fish, shrimp, nuts, eggs, chicken, beef etc.

Sorry your crabs had passed.
Vicki
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Are you sure it was the body of your little one who was eaten and not just the little one's exoskeleton? Cannabalism usually occurs after the victim has moulted and is soft and vulnerable. Check your little one's shell to see if there's a tiny pink crab inside. However, if you see an abdomen attached to the body that your bigger crab ate, then you're out of luck. :(
Wai
rafaelos
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5

Post by rafaelos »

well so far, ive only fed them with, peanut butter(once), pellets, lettuce, banana, strawberries, grapes and coconut sheddings. someone mentioned fish but how would i feed them with that? cooked or raw?
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

you could do it either way. cooked or raw.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

Really? They eat fish raw? Interesting! I'll have to try that!
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by krabby_katie »

I've heard of people feeding them live feeder goldfish. I think I might try it sometime or something.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

krabby_katie wrote:I've heard of people feeding them live feeder goldfish. I think I might try it sometime or something.
I was thinking of doing that but getting them from the pet store that are already dead, would that be a good idea or should I get them alive and let them die? I hate to just let a fish die to feed the hermies that is why I ask if I could get dead ones from the petstore.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by krabby_katie »

I wouldn't do that. You never know how they died. I would just get a few goldfish, and kill them myself. I wouldn't want them to die of a disease or something, then the crabbies eat them! Also, if you just let them die, they get that fuzzy junk all over them within hours. You'd be better off buying live ones, and feeding them a nice healthy diet for about a week (to make them nutritious) and then kill them yourself.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/