ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: cannibalism?

Post by ladybug15057 »

I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing this. Sometimes a hermie will turn crabby when they are in premolt. With the meat and seafood, is he also getting plenty of chitin? Chitin is different than protein. Some chitin sources are considered protein, but not all protein sources have chitin.
Mim, if you are offering the chitin too, other than iso'ing the crabby one there is not much you can do. Our hermies here do eat a well balanced diet, yet a few years ago King Kong turned crabby with his brothers so I had to iso him. He kept flipping them upside down and pinching in at them. Once he was iso'ed he ate, drank and went to a hidey where he stayed for almost a couple weeks until he molted. Once he molted and recovered he was a VERY sweet hermie again.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I read in the chat box that the 2 were up and running. As hard as it may seem too there have been occasions we have seen hermies up and about even climbing at the glass only to find them molted a short time later. Not all become lethargic, dig, or appear premolt. This is a hard call to try to determine.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Post by Mim »

It seems that striped is the culprit... Just caught him trying to attack drops... Have isod stripey, but poor drops isn't looking too good right now... Has dropped 2 legs... Glad I walked in when I did... Might have some hope of saving him!!
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Post by Mim »

Dropsy didn't make it.. Down to 1 crab...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm so sorry Mim! But there are times things are just out of our control and nature has many creatures act out of instincts. :(
Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)