Hermit Crab May be almost dead?

Questions about unexpected problems.
IAmAHermitMyself
Zygote
Zygote

Hermit Crab May be almost dead?

Post by IAmAHermitMyself »

I bought a Hermit Crab a Red Body, large guy that was slower than the other crabs about a week and a half ago from the pet store. He was okay when I was bringing him home for awhile after. I then put him in fresh sand he began to make a small burrow not very big at all and then he has been sitting there since, he is not even covered by sand. I do not believe he is molting since he doesn't seem to show signs other than anttenaes not moving and lack of eating and drinking. Right now presently he is sitting out of his shell his back tiny legs showing (Pretty far out for my liking), in his tiny burrow, with one leg extended in front of him, his antenae are bent in front of him, he moves and seems to be alive (Good news is that he moves pretty well when touch) but if I don't touch him he absolutely does not move not even a bit, I do not want to stress him touching all the time. Should I assume he is molting and shut off his light and such, or what? I am out of options He may be sick but I have no idea, he stays perfectly still unless you coax him somehow to move. It is funny though I was worried this morning he was dead again, I just very gently nudged him and had no response, I thought he was dead, I did it one more time and it is like he was in stasis or a trance and he snapped out of it and twitched a bit like the other times I touched him, is he old and senial, just wondering?
IAmAHermitMyself
Zygote
Zygote

Post by IAmAHermitMyself »

Nevermind he died today after about 4 hours, I tried to do everything I could, I guess I shouldn't have picked the slow guy. Ah my fault, never even felt what it was like having one as a pet!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Sorry for your loss. If I had read your message earlier I would have told you to give him some time to settle.
Wai
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have had that to happen to me before with ones I have had for months. I am not sure why they do that. I had gotten these 2 on the same day. They were both in yellow shells with spiderman painted on them (yuk). One was male 1 was female. The male passed away first then the next day the female passed on. I had had them both a few months now. Found it strange cause I got others that same day too and they are ok.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

i lost timmy about a week after i got him, but that i think was due to stress. the store had just gotten them in that morning and the moving was hard on some of them, and they don't survive.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08