not moving ....please help

Questions about unexpected problems.
Pinch
Zygote
Zygote

not moving ....please help

Post by Pinch »

hello i have seven hermit crabs. i have had them for about 2 and a half months and for that time they have all been fun and pretty active and everything. now one of them... (Chloe Rojo) is not moving. she hangs out about half out of her shell with her legs sticking out either attached to a tree limb in the sand or onto another empty shell and doesnt really move. she is latched on tight though. i know she is alive but is she dying? she doesnt really move her antenna and when i put my finger near her she still doesnt move! i put her in an isolation tank with a hiding place food and water and extra shells but still no progress. HELP?
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

how long has she been like that? can you get her to let go of the tree? when she's in the isolation tank, does she move at all? i'm a newer hermie owner, so i could be wrong, but i suggest keeping her in the ISO tank and make sure that it's dark and humid inside. she may be sick, so just keep an eye on her for now. i hope everything goes ok.
Pinch
Zygote
Zygote

welll...

Post by Pinch »

she has only been like this for a couple days. right now she moved a little bitand is drinking some water. i sure hope she is ok. i was in tears because i dont want to lose her. ill go watch her for awhile. i hope some others have some more advice for me.

thank you for your help!!!
Pinch
Zygote
Zygote

update

Post by Pinch »

now her shells is the water bowl and her legs are sprawled out and she isnt moving again. is this molting??? ive never gone through a molt!? i misted the ISO tank and put a blanket over it to make it dark. i hope she is ok. im scared.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

usually crabs will dig when they want to molt. there are many signs of molting, one of them being lethargic (slow, non responsive, sluggish). look in the molting forum for more information about other signs of molt. is she completely out of her shell? what do you mean when you say her legs are sprawled out? is she in the water bowl? i know that this is going to be hard, i recently lost one of my 2 crabs that i've had the longest. don't move her and just peek in there occassionally to see how she's doing. keep your eye on her and look at the stickys at the top of the molting forum for more information about molting. i hope everything is ok.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

also, look at other posts in this forum for more information to help diagnose your crab. there are a couple in here who are wondering about the difference between molting and illness. hope this helps
Pinch
Zygote
Zygote

update

Post by Pinch »

now she is on her back in her shell. i checked on her and she is still responsive a little. i m eant by all sprawled out was that she had her legs stretched out in front of her with her abdomen still in the shell. i hope she is ok. maybe she doesnt like to get sandy like me! :) im only hoping for the best. thank you for your help... any more advice is welcomed.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

crabs can be so odd sometimes! i'm glad everything worked out!
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

so how is she now?
does it smell? Musty? Fishy?
Well, i hope everything is okay!
I have gone through one surface molt. First i was so scared becuase i thought my hermies was coming out of its shell, but really it was it's exo! He is alive and happy today (he has even had 2 attempts to excape! once i cuaght in action, the other i found him on the floor by my book shelf. Now i have a gheavy glass lid!)
~Jillian~
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)