AllyMaeSlays
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 1

Hermit Crabs New Odd Behavior

Post by AllyMaeSlays »

Hey, there! I'm a new hermie owner so I'm not yet familiar with all of their behaviors! Any advice is always, always welcome!

About a month ago, I made an impulse buy at the beach; a tiny purple pincher crab. She is extremely social so it was easy to figure out her gender and all that fun stuff. Her name is Charlotte and, don't tell the others, but she's my favorite! After some research, I found out that she could not be kept in the little cage I got from the beach store. Long story short, I now have a 25 gallon tank, heaters, sand, air filters, lots of colorful food and water dishes, multiple food choices, and lots of toys! And 3 other hermies lol Carter, whom I bought from the pet store. He's my most social crab and slightly bigger than Charlotte. Henry and Molly whom I adopted from a couple that did not wish to travel with them. I'm actually not sure of Henry's gender as he won't come out of his shell and Molly is actually a boy, just haven't decided on a good name for him yet lol as you can tell, I thoroughly love and enjoy my hermit crabs haha.

Anyway, if you made it through that, congrats!! Now onto my question. Charlotte, my first little female has taken a liking to Carter, my little male. My only concern is that they've been in the same position for about four days now. I have a coconut hut and a bigger, more open, self crafted rock hut. They've been inside the rock hut standing face to face. Neither of them have gone inside their shells that I've noticed nor have they moved. I have handled both of them during this time frame and put them back in the tank in different places and within the hour they're right back where they were inside the rock hut. Is this anything to be concerned about? I would love to share a picture to give you guys a better idea but can't seem to figure out how to. Thanks in advance!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hermit Crabs New Odd Behavior

Post by Wai »

Most likely nothing to be concerned about; it doesn't happen often, but is interesting to hear about!
Wai