Crabbie3310
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Molting, but not digging? Or dying?

Post by Crabbie3310 »

So we rescued, I say rescued because places dont know how to properly care for hermits,3 hermits. Two have done amazing, they've melted and rejoined us. The third one, well he's struggled since day one. Recently though, I thought for sure he was ready to molt, he was drinking A LOT and tearing in to his food. However, he was not digging. His activity has decreased to not even moving. I took him out today because he hasn't move in almost 24 hours. He isn't stimulated by anything. I decided to make him a burrow and place him in there... just in case he was molting, but did not make it to burrow himself.

He doesn't smell, yet, so does anyone know if hermits molt on top ... or just fail to burrow? Or most likely he could handle the stress of molting?

Thank you
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Molting, but not digging? Or dying?

Post by Wai »

Sorry about the late reply. What you've seen is not uncommon and it is difficult to say whether to expect good or bad news. Some hermit crabs that are dormant do eventually moult, while others are dying from stress. What are your tank parameters? Please answer the folllowing.

What is the volume of your main tank?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Wai
Crabbie3310
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by Crabbie3310 »

Sadly, i checked on mellow yellow last night and he smelled horrid and was completely gone.he definitely passed away, which breaks my heart.

What is the volume of your main tank?
10 gallon
How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they? Had 3 now two, sadly.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about? 3 months

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it? Crab sand and coconut fiber

What do you feed your hermit crabs? Fresh fruit, veggies, meats of different sort, leaves, bark.

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Distilled bottle water

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

All things living soaking salt

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
Night lamp and heating pad. Night lamp is on top of tank and heating pad is on back of tank moss inside for humidity.

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?

Yes

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?

75-80 degrees and 80-85 humidity

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches? 80

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sorry to hear of your loss, and thank you for taking the time to complete the questions.

I would like to make mention first, I have the odd hermies I guess who do molt on top of substrate, but within a container or hut of sort. 16 years and counting. (and still have the same hermies, have not bought any in well over 10+ years.

I would strongly suggest to get rid of the hermit crab sand.
Please buy an ocean/sea salt sold specifically for salt water fish tanks. (not fresh water) It is ever so important, and especially using distilled water. (I have/still use distilled water)
Where as meats are a good source of protein, not all contain chitin which is important in their diet. What chitin source do you use?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.