jltyler
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 10

worried about my crabs

Post by jltyler »

I have three hermie's, 2 PP's and one E, and am fairly worried about all of them. I have had them a total of 3 months. The first PP was won at a state fair by the wife, second PP was purchased at a pet store as well as the E.

The PP that was won at the state fair over three months ago tends to sit in one spot near the UTH on the back of the tank all day and I swear never moves. The second PP sat in the corner of the tank for at least 3 weeks before digging under and molting. He came up with a shiny and very colorful shell and went right back under, this was three weeks ago. The E was the last one purchased and was very active at first all over the tank and digging everywhere. He decided to go under and has been down for 2 weeks. He is dug against the glass and I can see him through the glass, hes not molting he's just sitting there.

My main concern is no one is eating. I purchased some premixed foods from HCP, I switch the food out every 2 days or so, but the food is always in the same mound that I originally put it in.

The tank setup is okay the substrate is 5 in deep on one end and can taper to 4 inches on some parts, I like to make mounds and not just have a flat surface. I have a large piece of cholla wood for them to climb on but never gets any use. There are about 10 shells of different sizes for them to choose. I will soon be getting some blue LED's to simulate dusk for them. The 2 PP's have changed their shells the smallest once out of a painted shell, the larger twice, the E not yet. The tank has a glass lid that has the little plastic piece to full enclose it.

TIA for any help you guys can give me. Now for the questions.

What is the volume of your main tank?
10 gallon tank

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
3 hermie's, 2 PP's and one E. One PP and the E are a little bigger than a nickel, while one PP is about a penny.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
3 months total

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
I am using a mixture of play sand from Home Depot and Eco Earth. I tried to follow the guide and make it 5/6 sand and 1/6 EE

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Premixed foods from HCP, sometimes I give them some nuts, raisins mixed with oatmeal.

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
2 different water bowls one with tap water treated with API tap water conditioner and the other is salt water made with instant ocean

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
API tap water conditioner

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Instant Ocean

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
UTH on the back of the tank

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
Yes

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
Air Temp normally around 75 and normal humidity is 80.

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
I don't have a thermometer to get a reading

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
No
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: worried about my crabs

Post by ladybug15057 »

I would suggest to offer more fresh type foods. Hermies do need the natural oils and juices they contain.
http://www.hermitcrabcuisine.com/

Try to offer from each food group daily. Hermies will tire of the same foods and usually will not eat the same food twice after eating it for almost a week or two.
I see you're from the U.S. which most of us are experiencing some very cold weather up the northern part of the country and the east coast getting slammed with a nor'eastern. The UTH on the outside of the tanks wall does not do much for warming the substrate to the temps they need to remain healthy. (warm side 78-80*F and cooler side of 71-73*F) If you do not have a probed thermomter (that can be bought at Target for $12, WalMart for about $10, and Big Lots for $3) can you tell from your inner wrist if there is a warmer and a cooler area to the substrate? The UTH on the side of the tank the substrate may only be warm an inch or two in from the wall.
From what I see in the questions you answered it seems everything else is in order?
BTW, Welcome to HCP!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.