Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Lethargic Jumbo PP

Post by Andee »

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while. I know this, life has been hectic. But right now I desperately need some advice on how to handle a situation with one of my jumbo PP's, Thai. He was down molting for near two months I think, he was ok at first when he came up, abandoned his shell but chose another one within a few minutes after a quick rinsing of the ones I had in his size. He seemed strong and was doing well after that first scare. But within almost a day he was acting odd, he's extremely lethargic, reacting slow to movements and seems just worn out. I am hand feeding him honey, peanutbutter, and fruit; so far he won't take any meats. I am wondering if he is just tired from a hard molt? Or something like that... There are no missing limbs, and no wounds. He seems to be ok other than just extremely tired and listless. I am making sure he gets water by placing him in the water dishes, he doesn't seem to be dying... I've seen dying hermies.

Here is my tank: 40 gallon long
78 degrees farenheit substrate temp
68 degrees air temp
Humidity 80%
Sand and eco earth

Anything else that needs to be known please ask it
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Lethargic Jumbo PP

Post by Wai »

He may just be tired or actually ill. Unfortunately in the case of the latter, there's isn't anything us owners know to do besides checking the temperature and humidity and isolating them if required. We don't have vets to rely on and can only hope that they will recover from whatever is making them unwell.
Wai
Andee
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Andee »

Let's hope he's just tired D= My isolation tank isn't that big so I would hate to put him in it if he started to decline, plus its more unstable compared to my 40 gallon. Thanks for the input Wai, your information is invaluable.

Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Oh no, what I said actually wasn't that helpful... I wish there were medicines for hermit crabs and that we knew how to diagnose different illnesses.
Wai
Andee
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Andee »

I wish there was too .___. but what you said helped the stress at least a little. I think he might be losing a leg or at least a segment of a leg as it looks a little... deflated almost... still he won't give up the fight and I am hoping he will pull through. I am giving honey every feeding time, hoping that the antibiotic properties in it will help with whatever is going on. If only I could understand what was going on.

Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Honey doesn't really have antibiotic properties. It's very concentrated sugar and may discourage some bacteria from growing due to the hyperosmotic environment, but I doubt it'll really kill any bacteria inside the hermit crab's body.
Wai
Andee
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Andee »

O o.o ok then, well he passed last night. Still not sure why, he ended up leaving his shell and moving on. I have vigourously boiled all the shells, anything I should do else wise before I put them back in?

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Hi Andee! I am sorry for your loss... how heart breaking!
I briefly looked through here at HCP and do not see where you answered the questions? (I do realize you answered lengthy questions on another forum, but all those postings are gone) :(
How is your pest situation now?
With a substrate temp of 78* F, do you have a cooler side to the substrate too?

Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Andee
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Andee »

Hi Marie <3 yeah I noticed that the other forum moved, their new place is kind of confusing, still trying to understand it. Well the ants I haven't had any problems with lately *crosses fingers and knocks on wood* I am making sure no food stays in there very long, even if I am finding them hidden in the shells or underneath the corkbark.

I do have a cooler side, can't remember what the temp was last time I measured it, as I have lost a working thermometer for that side and haven't replaced it yet. The humidity and temperature are both rather stable. I will answer the questions for this forum with what I have now.

What is the volume of your main tank?
40 Gallons

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
13 ranging from small enough to fit on top of a penny to my strawberry who is just shy of the size of a baseball

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
I had Thai one month

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
EE and Aroganite sugar size sand 6 inches going to be 8-9 inches soon as I clean the tank next week

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
A mix of dried fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, dried rose petals, freeze-dried grasshoppers, freeze-dried bloodworms, seaweed, cuttlebone, freeze-dried krill, organic honey, organic passion fruit jam, watermelon, fresh and cooked seafood, pumpkin, sweet potato, tomatoes... etc.

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Tap

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
Api Water Conditioner, Yes to all of the above

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Instant ocean

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
A UTH, it is on the bottom on the left section of my tank

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
Yes ^^

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
66-68 degrees F for the air temp range, humidity is 80 percent

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
78-80 degrees

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Tank will be put here soon

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I noticed that the other forum moved, their new place is kind of confusing,
That it is! I am by no means a geekette and guess I am getting too old to keep up with all the changes. :( I have yet to even post to the new CSJ and doubt highly if I ever will. CrabWorks mentioned to me a few years ago about the constant moves and how time consuming it was to re-learn everything. Suggested then due to the time and input I did with CSJ just to branch out on my own…. Seems it very well maybe that time to do so… for now Yahoo’s Hermies Group is still open and not as confusing to me, and HCP is a great site....
as I have lost a working thermometer for that side and haven't replaced it yet
For now, you can use the inner part of your wrist to help with this. (where one tests a baby bottle) As long as it is cooler on one side this gives them the option if they need it to regulate their body heat.
How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
I had Thai one month
Sad to say then this very well could have been PPS that he passed from and possible there was not much you could do for him other than make his last days on earth as comfy as possible.
What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
66-68 degrees F
With this for an air temp, it is important to know you do have a warmer side of the substrate of about 78*-80* for them to warm up at. What size of UTH do you have on the 40 gal? (if not known about how many inches long and wide is it?)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.