brendaboyle
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 8
Total tanks: 1

3 out of 4 are not to be seen!

Post by brendaboyle »

I just adopted some hermit crabs from some kids who could not keep their two hermit crabs. I did some research and provided a nice terrarium habitat for them and bought two more hermit crabs from Petco. I have calcium rich sand on top of coconut fiber and a layer of pebbles underneath. Now I can't find three of the 4 and am wondering of their issue. One hermit crab is to be seen but he has not moved much. I don't think any of them have been eating or drinking the water. the one i do see isn't moving much and it seems the others are buried in the sand somewhere. I am worried about them. any advice or offering of insight?
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: 3 out of 4 are not to be seen!

Post by rmbrmb »

Ok,first things first calcium sand is BAD! Next, do away with the pebbles. The three that burrowed are in danger. Calcium sand WILL kill crabs.

Next, please give mire detail! We can't help you inless we know the whole situation.
Please answer the questions on this page viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
brendaboyle
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 8
Total tanks: 1

Post by brendaboyle »

I got this info from another site and the lady at Petco said the calcium sand was good, too. I am going tot he store now to see what I can do.

so, should I change the terrarium and find the hermit crabs or let them be? there is at least two to three inches of coconut fiber and what was deemed hermit crab sand at Petco. I am getting mixed advice. I thought calcium rich was what I needed. I hear from other forums to leave the hermies alone as they are burrowing in post purchase stress!

*****Removed statement from post about substrate. If one does copy information from another site, it is to also have the link to the information as well as quotes around the information.
(this is in the Guidelines and rules post.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

One should take what an employee at a pet store states with a grain of salt, if that much. Sadly, majority of the time they do not know what is best for many of the creatures they sell.
Be very careful, whereas there is some good info on the internet, there is also bad.
As mentioned, the Calci sand is not a good sand, and can cause the hermie to become stuck when burrowed because it will harden close to rock form as it dries if it gets wet. If it gets within the shell it can also entrap the hermie within its shell for the same reason.
A good sand is CaribSea sugar or select grain sand:
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... onite+Sand

We cannot speak for other forums, but only for here at HCP (and I also will give info from the flag ship Crab Street Journal)
The substrate should not be that deep when one first gets hermies, even if from another person. They should not be permitted to burrow so they can be observed.

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... toryid=165
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.