ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Drinking too much sea salt water

Post by ladybug15057 »

What ocean/sea mix are you using to make the ocean pond?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mk32
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

First Crabs Possibly Molting; First Time Owners Are Worried

Post by mk32 »

We believe that our crabs (2 of them) are molting right now because they've been buried under the substrate for almost a week. One of them even spent an hour or two in the salt water dish last week before he disappeared.

What worried us is that one of the crabs buried himself first before the other one did. The next day, I found that there's big hole where he was hiding and the other crab is nearby. I'm not sure if the buried crab surfaced or the other crab dug himself in and disturbed the molting process.

There's no way to tell if he's okay now, they've both been buried underneath the substrate for almost 4-5 days straight. I know we're not supposed to be worried but, can't help it.. :P I mean, first two crabs and both decides to molt (possibly) at the same time? Ugh.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Re: Staying Still and Making Clicking Noise

Post by ladybug15057 »

Your posts have been merged to make it easier to follow events, and to a degree all relate to what maybe happening.

Your hermies are new, and it is suggested not to let them burrow until they have adjusted to their environment. (but to offer huts for them to seek privacy in)
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... toryid=165

The heavy drinking of ocean water could be due to lacking the ocean/sea water since their capture. (please answer the question as to what brand of ocean/sea water you offer)

Chances are the clicking noise was due to some form of irritation/aggravation the one was experiencing.
Two weeks is not really a long time to have a new hermie who was taken from his home in the wild and has undergone many traumatic changes. Then to be moved to a new crabitat in 2 weeks is also a bit stressful due to the new environment. (as mentioned in one of my previous posts)
It could be that they are seeking some privacy/alone time to destress from all they have been through. But now that they have buried all one can do is wait and see. I don't see where you mention what type of substrate you're using? If it is sand you can smooth it out and check in the morning for hermie tracks to see if they are coming up at night when it is dark and quiet.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mk32
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mk32 »

Oh gosh, we never knew we're not supposed to let them burrow in a new tank.

For our ocean/sea salt water, we're using the Zoo Med Hermit Crab part 2. For substrate, we use two substrate, one side sand one side soil (or eco earth?). For the sand we use CaribSea sugar size aragomax and the soil we used All Living Things.

I've been up very late and I never notice them coming out of the soil. Today, I lifted the tank to see if I can see any activity. One crab is just sitting (with his shell attached) and not moving at the bottom of the glass floor.. :(
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is so hard when one starts out crabbing, and would be a little easier if pet stores were educated themselves.
May I suggest to change out what is suppose to be a soil substrate? I did a search and came up with this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 9#prodTab1

which is made of fir, not 100% cocofiber which is what Eco Earth and Forrest Bedding actually are. (only 100% cocofiber should be used if one uses a soil type substrate)
May I also strongly recommend to get rid of the ZooMed part 2? Hermies need a ocean/sea pond that is from a mix that is sold specifically for salt water fish tanks:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... ater+Mixes

(more info about Zoomed towards the bottom of the page at the link above)

If a hermie is preparing to molt they will not move much, if they move at all. They begin to loosen their old exo from the new and for this reason they do not actually have 'support' of their legs to do so. When they do molt, their new exo's are similar to jello, or wet cement... VERY soft until they begin to recover from their molt. Since you could see the one, did he have an area circled out, like he made a molting nest area? Or was he just burrowed there?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

mk32
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mk32 »

Okay we will prep up the next batch to use the recommended products.

Yes he did make a complete circle around the area. He's resting directly on the glass bottom of the tank. We tapped the glass where he sits gently and no movement. So we put it right back! We're just worried... I know that might've stressed them.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

You're correct that chances are you stressed him by tapping on the glass, and as hard as it is going to be you need to refrain from doing so again or even moving the tank. Hermies feel vibrations and molting is very traumatic for a hermie. Due to all the stress they have put through since their capture if they are in premolt at the time, sometimes the odds of surviving a molt are not in their favor. :( So anything we can do to cut back on any stress at all helps them quite a bit.
If he has cleared a circle type area out, it does sound like he has prepared himself a molting nest. They seem to do this, and here is a picture of a nest another crabber hermihoot had taken of her hermie:

http://crabstreetjournalphotos.com/disp ... at=0&pos=1

Notice how it has cleared himself an area to molt in.
May I make another suggestion? Buy a pair of comfy pacing slippers because he maybe down for a spell. (we all have them, I must go through 2 pair a year myself) XD
When the urge hits ya to go a peeking or tapping, come here and post... we are here and all been through it at one time or another.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

mk32
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mk32 »

LOL!

Okay, will do. After I see hermihoot's picture of a moulting nest, on one side of the tank where one of my crab is burried, it looks like almost similar to the picture. The one I mention in my earlier post is just a clear circular area. Perhaps this is because this one is burried in the soil section, whereas the other is under sand.

What should I do to prepare? Should I keep the soil area moist? Humidity is still around 60-70. When should I start putting down calcium-rich food? Should I put a divider in the tank to prevent the faster moulter to go and disturb the the other moulter?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm sorry for the delay, but hubby and I went away for a few days.
In case they are coming up at night or while you are not home there should always at least be food and both waters out for them.
If you can divide the tank safely and keep the temp and humidity stable on both sides this would not hurt if you feel safer doing so. But doing this both sides would need their own food and water sources.
The soil would need to stay damp so the soil does not pull moisture from the hermie and cause them to become dehydrated. And the sand should be damp too so the nest doesn't begin to collapse. When I mention damp, this is by only adding a few (2-4) drops of water to the substrate. Do you have a dropper of some sort, or a way to control how much water you are adding so not to soak the substrate?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

mk32
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mk32 »

We have a spray. we will add that today.

Sigh! They stil haven't come out :( Starting to fear the worse.