VERY odd behaviour... dead or alive?

Questions about unexpected problems.
redonesue
Zygote
Zygote

Post by redonesue »

I hung him upside down to see if that would happen. But he did not fall out. I can move his claws and does nothing. Although when I hung him upside down, he did kind of hang (his claws). His claws are so loose. He doesn't smell either. Yesterday he was tucked tightly in his shells. I wouldn't have been able to move his claws like I did today. It's like they are limp. Should I just leave him alone (not touch him at all) for a week or two? He's not eating or drinking. Or do you think he is dead? Is there any other test to check to see if he is dead?

I want to thank you very much for responding to me. I greatly appreciate it.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Where abouts are his legs tucked in? Try moving his legs too. If I didn't move Venus's legs she would have not fallen out, andI would never know she was dead all along :(. Just go check and tell us how you go :). Good luck!
Wai
redonesue
Zygote
Zygote

Post by redonesue »

The legs are tucked around the shell, but they are limp. I can lift each leg and the flop back. Should I try to pull him out and see what happens?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Sounds rough, but yes, try pull him out. If it seems too hard, don't pul him out with too much strength. Do it gently.
Wai
redonesue
Zygote
Zygote

Post by redonesue »

I was able to gently pull him out (not all the way). He didn't seem dead. He twithced. I checked him this morning and I see his legs moving kind of outwards. He isn't tucked in like he was. I just left him alone. Maybe he is molting. I'm just glad to see him moving the legs around. I appreciate your help! I'll keep you updated.

I bought an under tank heater today for the other crab. I'll didn't see any real healthy crabs at PetCo. I know I need to find one for the crab that still activing in the tank.