lethargy

Questions about unexpected problems.
holeypurlgirl
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

lethargy

Post by holeypurlgirl »

My crabs don't seem to do much. Is this how they are supposed to be? I don't see them being very active. Am I doing something wrong?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: lethargy

Post by Wai »

Not necessarily. They aren't as active as most common everyday pets such as dogs and birds. If they've been under the substrate for quite a long time (such as for two weeks), then they might be moulting. Refrain from digging them out though, as it can mess up their moulting process, if they are moulting.
Wai
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

Most but not all hermies are as a rule more active in the night time. Have you had them long? If not they could be de-stressing. Sometimes when you get them they are very active when you first get them home. Checking out their new surroundings. After they have been around for a little while they may become less active. I like to change around their crabitat every once in a while to get them exploring again.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
holeypurlgirl
Zygote
Zygote

Post by holeypurlgirl »

Ok, good. I thought that I was doing something wrong. We didn't know much about crabs when my husband brought them home for a suprise. I am trying to do my best for them. Polly, has not been active since we got her. And Connor2 was very active when he was added to the crabitat, but has since become much less interested in anything. Nobody has burried themselves yet though. So moulting is not a possibity. They do move because on occasion, they will be in a different spot.
:) Val

2 crabs~Polly, Connor2
2 kids~Connor, Aiden
1cat~Scuttles
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

Sounds good so far
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

they can be funny sometimes. mine never sleep I don't think. they're constantly moving lol. and they love to climb. they're curious creatures, so if you put in a new rock, vine, coconut wall, or whatever, they'll investigate it.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

It's important to keep your hermit crabs entertained with new toys. You can even just rearrange things in the tank to give them a "new" feel. I think this helps keep them psychologically healthy.
Wai
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

not to mention fun to watch! it cracks me up when i rearrange the tank and put them back in, it's like a whole new amusement park for them lol. they're crawling on everything. it's the same stuff, but in different positions, they love it!
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08