Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Lost 3 limbs!

Post by Vmach87 »

Okay so I've had my hermit crab (babydoll) since July 1st
Seemed to be active when we got her home and usually active when we took her out, but then she started eating very inactive. I have enough play sand in my 10 gallon tank for a molt.

She seemed to have tried to dig a hole in corners of the tank a few times but didn't get very far.

She was in a corner of the tank for about 2 days I wanna say with a little hole she tried to dig it ended up not being under the surface.

The next morning I woke up to see her big claw and another limb had fallen off, I panicked and thought maybe she was surface molting but I wanted to isolate her and moved her out of the corner to do so.

It's been about 10 days and in that time she seemed to have lost another limb I believe and hasn't moved or done anything and I'm not sure what to do.

Is she surface molting?

I isolated her and keep good and water and her limbs near her and I haven't seen any signs of death, she doesn't smell but it's been 10 days and I'm still worried.
Also I don't recall her eating much before she molted and I bathed her maybe twice since I got her, and I only moved her once and just not sure what else to do.

Is it normal for them to lose a few limbs before molting? She's totally in her shell, I picked her up one day to see if she was still in there and she was she didn't fall out, she's just not moving which I know is normal for a molt but this is my first experience with hermit crabs and I just want to make sure she ends up okay. Any advice is great

I keep humidity and temp at 80 past 2 days since I got rid of two sponges it's been about 72-75 humidity and can't seem to get it to increase
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Lost 3 limbs!

Post by Wai »

I'd like to know more information about your tank. Can you please answer the questions in #6?

Are the limbs definitely detached from her body and not just shed exoskeleton? This may be a bad case of post purchase stress syndrome. :(
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Lost 3 limbs!

Post by ladybug15057 »

Are the limbs hollow as an exoskeleton?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.