Timir
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Mauled and half-eaten

Post by Timir »

:'( I went to adopt 5 new little guys with tank myself and found out by the time the other person got there they attacked and mauled one guy that had molted. I'm planning on following advice here but has anyone ever seen any weird gel-like substance all over the crab's 'head' as well? Completely covering any eyestalks, or antennae.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: no limbs what so ever

Post by ladybug15057 »

Gel like substance, as in his antenna and mouth parts may of been cannibalized too?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Timir
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Timir »

It has dried out/removed/something. I can't recognize a hermie face at all :(

He however is still quite alive, responding to a few drops of water to try to let him drink, and will not part from his shell though when sat with his shell back he will crawl out and have his hard portion of his abdomen completely out, he is also using the little worm-type limb as well as his mini-legs for shell use, there also appears to be something that looks like a tiny leg smaller than the shell legs attached to his face
I thought it was just stuck on but I saw it be moved, as well as another leg about 1/4" from where his face would be but is also way too small to be a walking leg.

Theres no eyestalks, there's no distinguishable mouth pieces, no antennae, nothing.
It breaks my heart and I've thought about trying to humanely put him out of his misery but I can't think of a single way that wouldn't be painful, and I know if I can keep him alive long enough to molt that he could potentially make a full recovery.

It's been 36-some hours and he has had the opportunity to flop out of his shell and he has not yet, and he even shows some defensive signs(He retracts to motion then wants to know why he was picked up and pops out a little)

Right now he keeps putting his face out on cardboard(I wonder if he's trying to eat to regain some strength to do a quick forced molt.)
He is however wiggling anything he has left around(almost in a methodical, calculating type way as if eating/trying to figure out how best to eat) The most fine thing I have is freezedried shrimp which I have crumbled up into salt-grain or smaller size bits. If I notice some missing I'll also mix up some honey and see if he will eat some.

NOTE: He was attacked freshly from a molt, so it's possible he was still soft/squishy slightly. His limbs still had a dull look to them.
I also Cannot see the dry joints from where his limbs were torn off any more, I assume these are gel-buds forming.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What you are seeing attached to his face, is it possible he had one of his mouth parts left to eat?
What sort of concerns me is what you are calling a small leg coming out of his side? Would/is this located where his gills would be?
If he still has a mouthpart left, it maybe possible for you to feed him until he does molt. Being this mutilated he may attempt to molt VERY soon so nutrition is ever so important right now. Even to try to make a mush with water and a food to feed him from a toothpick.
When he would be ready to molt unfortunately there would be nothing you could do to help and it would be on him. Without any limbs it will be difficult for him to get out of his old exo... but not impossible if he has use of his little shell legs.
Here is a link that maybe of some help to you:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-browse_categ ... =off&type=

Please do keep us updated!! We are pulling for him!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Timir
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Mauled and half-eaten

Post by Timir »

No idea on that little leg looking thing, but he can eat!

I believe there are some sort of little 'plate' things that fold up and rest on the rest of their mouth parts, if I'm not mistaken.
I was looking for those, but they're missing; however the inner-pieces are still there to eat with! :o (I guess when you don't have a choice and honey is stuck in your face, you just go "I'm hungry, I'll eat some and see if it's yummy, if it is I'll eat more.".)

He since my last post has turned a vibrant thorough shade of dark purple across his entire abdomen that I've seen(haven't seen the soft tail recently), almost as vibrant purple as their big claws are but a much darker tone and all leg joints and claw joints are "Filled in" with something dark but it domes out just slightly.

It must be absolutely horrible not being able to move, see, smell, or taste like they normally can, but if he wanted to die he could've just popped out of the shell and died.