Niko
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 35
Total gallons: 150
Total tanks: 4

Re: Regeneration of lost limbs

Post by Niko »

Very interresting Marie. Maybe, the color of gel limbs is link to the specie, i'don't know (it's the first time since i'm in the hobby that i can oberved and make pics of this phenomenon). We shall make more observations like these to validate this hypothesis.
Niko.

To crab or not to crab.....crab!

My Board dedicated to LHC (in french) : http://coenobita.xooit.com/index.php
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have only noted this a few times, and once for the straw. Once I note the gel limb changing coloring as in Yowies (PP) picture, the hermie normally molts within 2-3 days maximum. I have not noted this on all, some just molt I think. (knocking on wood so not to jinx this) We do not normally have limbs missing to make such observations, unless we bought a hermie who was missing limbs, or that occasional surprise molter who unfortunately for some reason the tank mates decide to munch on. If I know they are in premolt too, I will not disturb them. I'd be curious as to your observations.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

ladybug15057 wrote:Once I note the gel limb changing coloring as in Yowies (PP) picture, the hermie normally molts within 2-3 days maximum.
very interresting information. This phenomenon (some colors shifting just before moulting) can be observed on others arthropods (spiders, tarentula).
I wasn't enough lucky to observed my brevimanus during the 4-3 days before moulting. Nevertheless it could have be a way to confirm what you have observed. To be continued.... ;)
Niko.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

This phenomenon (some colors shifting just before moulting) can be observed on others arthropods (spiders, tarentula).
I did not know this, very interesting! This 'coloring' is also one I have noted with the fluid they secrete when they begin to molt with many hermies I have actually watched molting. I will admit, it is easier to see when a jumbo molts. Question, have you noted the water sac some hermies get before molting? If so, have you noted any color changes with it when they get closer to molting?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

Hi Marie,

it was very difficult to make him coming out, and i couldn't make any observations of the sac. It could be very interresting to make correlation between the color shifting of the gel limbs and color shifting of the sac (don't know if color shifting is the best word, but s'cuse me, i'm just a french guy.... XD *| ).
Niko.

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

The one (suspected) molt sac I've seen was brilliant blue. It's in the first post on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3343
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

Sorry emmac but i don't see pics off the sac on the link you've given.... *|
Niko.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Your English is fine Niko, I can understand your postings! :) (wish I could speak 1/2 the French you do English!!)
Anyway, I have observed the water sac on several of the premolters we have had here. The water sac's I have seen start as a clear sac, but it too when the hermie gets closer to molting changes coloring. It will begin to turn a gray in coloring and the closer they get to molting the darker it gets. The darkest I have seen is that of a dark smokey gray. But the time line on this doesn't seem to be as close as the color changing of the gel limb.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

The picture is on the first post of the thread I linked to, Niko. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Ceres's gel buds darkened in colour to dark grey before he moulted for the second time under my care, but he died shortly afterwards. Can PPS affect hermit crabs for several months? Only Ceres and Quaoar (both from the same shocking pet store) had messy moults that resulted in limb loss and ultimately death. :(
Wai