amandaredpanda
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Lost feeder claw

Post by amandaredpanda »

I just got my new hermit crabs today and when i got home i saw that its feeder claw is missing.. i need to know what to do, can it eat with its big claw or is it doomed? should i take it back? just i really need fast help..thanks.. =[
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Lost feeder claw

Post by CrabbyJo »

Amanda, I had a crab come up from a molt with NO claws. Poor little guy. What I did was made sure that all his food was ground up very small, almost a powder, and made sure also that it was moist enough that he could get it stuck on one of his walking legs to get it to his mouth. The dry, he can actually move his mouth close enough to pick it up with his mouth parts, I think.
I purchased some mixes online that contained seaweed and shrimp, so I would feel confident that he was getting the most important nutrients he needed, such as Zeaxanthin, calcium, and protein. They do need more but I was worried about not having enough of those nutrients.

I would mash up strawberries for him (or any fruit) so it was just a mushy mess.

You can also purchase organic baby food from the nutrition section of your grocery store.
If you give him plenty of the nutrients he needs, he may molt quickly and come back up with a smaller version of his feeder claw. My crab was up 3 weeks, molted for 3 weeks, and came back with smaller versions of both his claws and his leg. It was incredible.

Just make sure you provide him with plenty of fresh dechlor water, and more importantly, the dechlor ocean water. It will help his molt tremendously.

To moisten the powders I'd offer him (not all was moistened, I gave him something dry and something moistened at the same time), I would use fish oil capsules meant as supplements for humans (NO additives) by cutting it open and squeezing it onto the food and mixing it, or I'd use organic olive oil, or a little honey now and then (but not too often).

So don't worry, he can still eat with help from you, and will grow it back next molt, most likely!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

If he has a big claw still, he will be able to eat almost the same as he would with the feeder claw. Whenever I'm lucky enough to see one of my crabs eating, they're always "two handing it" as I call it. They'll have food in both claws and alternate which one they're eating from. My guys are pigs, but if they can eat with the big claw and the feeder claw, I'm sure your little guy will be okay. Like CrabbyJo said, be sure to offer him things that are mushier or in smaller pieces/ground up. That will ensure that he can eat no matter what. Do focus on ensuring he has a lot of calcium and protein in his diet as that will help him to be ready to molt and regenerate that claw sooner. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
amandaredpanda
Zygote
Zygote

Post by amandaredpanda »

Ive seen those feeder spoons on a website so i used a tooth pick and i held mashed up food to her and she took it with her big claw and ate it! im so releived, because i figure she can do it herself. thanks so much for the help and advice. =] =] =]
amandaredpanda
Zygote
Zygote

Post by amandaredpanda »

ahh i was just looking at her as she was eating from my pen, lol, and i see a little gel claw growing =]
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I'm glad! Keep feeding her well and you'll have a molt under your belt in no time!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

How cool! I didn't get to see Gobo's gel claws, he stayed hidden from me and I didn't want to disturb him too much. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Missing its feeder pincher and being you mention "I just got my new hermit crabs today and when i got home i saw that its feeder claw is missing.."
Please do not disturb this hermie. He/she is able to use their large pincher and mouth parts to eat. (especially if the food is ground up as Crabby Jo suggested to do) The hermie is under PPS currently so the less it is picked up etc. the better its chances of survival. This hermie has been under so much stress since its capture it needs this time to destress.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 31
Total tanks: 3

Post by harleyucollins »

When my mom brought back my three crabs from Florida, one was missing their feeding claw. He seemed to do just fine and was eating with his big claw. He's now molting though. :]
Proud owner of 10 hermit crabs.
6 PP's - Dino, Squirt, and Squishy (Other three unnamed)
4 E -Reo-ohki, Pip, Magnus, and Tien
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jadexox »

it is not the end it will grow back and in the mean time he could try using his other claw :D
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!