It's A Pile Up

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

It's A Pile Up

Post by aries »

I have several large, medium and small crabs that all try to fit in one of the cocohuts I have in their tat. The funny thing is the small guys go in and then the mediums pile up on top of them. As if that weren't enough the big guys try to squeeze through the door and pile up too but they can hardly fit so the cocohut sits about 1 1/2 to 2" off the substrate XD LOL. It is quite comical to see and I can't figure out why they do it. The others that can't fit go on top and behind the hut. I do have another hut but none of them use it. Anyone know what I can put in that is large enough for all of them to fit in and large enough for the big guys to fit through the door? Help!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Aww... what a loving family of crabs! Just leave the second cocohut in there in case some of them want 'more space' LoL. You don't want the little ones getting stuck in the hut by the biggies...
Wai
aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Post by aries »

I almost took out the second hut but decided against it. I just shake my head every morning because the little guys are on the bottom of all of them and it reminds me of the cartoons where the big giant critter plops down on the little guy and all you see is feet and hands poking out but the little ones don't seem to mind. It's the silliest thing. If I can figure out how to post pics I'll take some.