New purple pincher tank

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: New purple pincher tank

Post by Purple pinchers »

Still under the cocofiber... I wounder whats hapening under there. :/ hope he is alright...
*Pack Rat*
bacismom2223
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 23
Total tanks: 2

Post by bacismom2223 »

My hermies are also buried most of the time so I'm interested in what happens too. One of my crabs( a purple Pincher) has buried himself From day one. He has changed shells since I put some in there but my Ecuadorian hasn't and he has been buried for a couple days now. Hard to tell if they are eating except for the sand and eco-earth all over the food sometimes. I do check on where they are in the tank BC its a 30gal for 2 small crab. So I hope some more responses are made about this kind of behavior.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

bacismom2223, I would suggest to start your own thread and answer all the questions as Purple pinchers had taken the time to do. This is how we all are able to hopefully offer some help if there maybe something going on. It might be something different....
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

How long does a medium size crab usaly take to molt? Just wounder so i know when to start to worry...
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

There is no time frame when it comes to molting, but anywhere from a couple days up to about 3-4 months.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bacismom2223
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bacismom2223 »

@ladybug15057 I am not overly concerned BC most of what I have researched has made think this is normal behavior. I have only had them for about a month so I am assuming it is post pet shop syndrome especially since I got them at a carnival. Either way thank you but I feel reading and gathering info from those that have already learned lessons about hermit crab care is more time efficient for me.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Basicmom2223,
You're right, it is pretty normal behavior. It is very likely your PP did go down to molt immediately, probably having had no real substrate of any depth for a long period, then you gave them heaven! :) I have found that, when I know a crab has buried, they usually take 3-4 weeks here to molt. I have also heard of crabs taking up to 4 months, as Marie has said. I would give him some time before worrying too much. Can't tell you not to worry at all, because you can't help it, not knowing what's going on under there!
I'm sure that if you do have a problem you don't know what to do about though, you'll post and ask, and we'll certainly be here to help if you need it!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
bacismom2223
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bacismom2223 »

@crabbyjo thank you and yes if I have a concern I can't find a answer to I will post it along with all the proper info so I can get an accurate response. Thank you again!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have only had them for about a month so I am assuming it is post pet shop syndrome especially since I got them at a carnival.
It might be PPS, no way to tell really.
You're right, it is pretty normal behavior. It is very likely your PP did go down to molt immediately, probably having had no real substrate of any depth for a long period, then you gave them heaven!
It is normal for some hermies especially due to PPS, but it is strongly recommended not to let a hermie burrow when we first get them to help them adjust. It is suggested to offer a hut or some form of a hidey instead for shelter. Chances are being from a carnival it was lacking proper humidity, temp, and a proper diet. :(

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... toryid=165
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

:( I hope my substrait is not to cold, because i use a heat lamp not a heat pad. But i moved the lamp closer to the cage so its heating up the ground a little more but still a little cold.
*Pack Rat*