Determine The Age Of Your Crab

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Determine The Age Of Your Crab

Post by emmac350 »

I think what erikleeson is trying to do is come up with a formula for taking the number of rings and finding years. As in, if your crab molts 6 times a year as a micro, and it molts 4 times a year as a small, etc. then you could figure out how old your crab is in years.

In order to know how to do that, though, you'd need to know how many molts it takes before you go from one size to another so you could figure it out.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Precisely. 8)
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

But all hermies are different and molt at different rates regardless of their size. Example here being again, most have Jumbos that they say molt once a year, unsure why but my daughters Shelly one year molted every 3 months, but now the last couple years is molting twice a year like my other Jumbo's. This is not even considering... how many times did they molt in the wild prior to coming to our homes? Do they molt more frequently due to having all their needs met in the wild, as well as plenty of exercise? (more than we could possibly provide during their captive lives even with daily exercise outside of the tank)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

can you take one of their anntanaese if they surface moult and do it tht way?
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

One should not disturb a molter, and being one cannot determine the age of a hermie by the rings on their antenna but only how many times they may of molted in their lifetime it would not be worth stressing the hermie for this. And if they ever had lost their antenna, or had them nipped off at any point, no guarantee that even the rings would signify the correct number of molts during their lifetime.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

wow i wouldnt be aby to do this. hermy body parts make me squeemish 8|
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa