Is there a healthy color?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Shawn B.
Zygote
Zygote

Is there a healthy color?

Post by Shawn B. »

I'm not if one of my crabs are healthy. His color seems off. He's not really red or even brownish red. He seem more of a purplish black. Is it to late for this little guy. Help!! My six year old daughter has just purchased 2 crabs with her own piggy bank money, and i am trying really hard to make sure they make it. any help is appreciated. :(
Shawn :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

No, no, your hermit crab is fine! The darker the colours, the healthier he is. They don't have to be red or brown to be healthy, that's the 'healthy colour' for only a few species. Some species of hermit crabs are healthy if they are dark brown or purple. In general, the darker the colours, the healthier he is. An unhealthy hermit crab will look pale and have whitish-grey skin (like he's all washed out). If you have a crab with such dull colour, you need to feed him plenty of carotene-rich foods such as carrots and other brightly coloured vegetables.
Wai
Hannah
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hannah »

Try http://www.hermit-crabs.com to check out what species he is. He sounds like a PP or Rug to me.
If any problems, PM or

email an Administrator or Moderator!!!
Our site: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com
This is my sister's story- http://pages.ivillage.com/luvne
If

my advice doesn't help, PM, IM, or email me at blondey42992@yahoo.com
Thanks!!
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

and i think when they get a dimmer or lighter color than usual it means they are about to molt soon...
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

That is known as the 'ashy exo'. They might lose a bit of colour on top of the head area and back when they are pre-molt.
Wai
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

yep like with benny i didnt notice it and then after i noticed he was bright red and i was like wow!
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

There is no single healthy color. Basically, the more color there is, the more beta carotene your crab has eaten. Crabs would normally consume this through the ingestment of other crustaceans and shrimp. They change color much like flamingos do. Without shrimp (or another source of carotene), flamingos turn white over time.

It is not necessarily bad to have a light colored crab. I have 3 myself, one of which is almost white. That's just the color she is.

Typically, on most crabs, if they aren't well nourished, it's visible in their claw tips and pincers as particularly light, if not white areas and the crab is not naturally colored white. This indicates they lacked beta carotene during their last molt.

Ways to darken your crabs: Shrimp, krill, carrots, and any fish and crab foods specifically designed for brightly colored fish and/or crabs.