Jpriest454
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Possibly streaking. Very worried.

Post by Jpriest454 »

So ive had this pair of crabs for a good few months now. First time caring for hermits so I'm pretty green with everything. Lately they've been dormant. No big deal i thought since it's getting cold around here and theyve been sticking near their heating pad. But this morning i count one crab and three empty shells. (I two spare shells in there incase they need a change.) The two smaller shells that are usually occupied by my smaller crab, cakes, are empty and the larger shell that has just been vacated by my larger guy is the only other shell she could be in. That shell is way too big for her, so big that i dont know if shes even in there. I cant see her but she could be far back inside it. And besides, its a painted shell that ive been wanting the big guy to leave since i bought him. Im just very concerned. I dont know if shes in that giant shell or if shes somewhere buried in the nude. Im afraid to dig around and look incase digging her up will stress her out too much. Shes a shy gal who always tucks into her shell when I'm near. I dont know if this is normal behavior or if there's something urgent I need to take care of. Any advice from more seasoned crab owners would be appreciated.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Re: Possibly streaking. Very worried.

Post by StellaCrab »

Hello JPriest! :)

I recommend three shells per crab at a minimum, more is always appreciated, they need plenty of choices to choose from. If you aren't sure about her being in that shell, then place the shell somewhere inside the crabitat where you can watch to see if there is any movement, she very well may be inside of there. I don't advise to dig unless you absolutely know that she is naked, and usually they wouldn't dig down while streaking, instead they would run about very frantically.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Jpriest454
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jpriest454 »

Was able to confirm that she is in that big shell. Im just not entirely sure how to get her to leave it. I dont even think she can move around in that thing. Gonna try and find some shells that fit her at the store today.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Post by StellaCrab »

Jpriest454 wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 04:40 Was able to confirm that she is in that big shell. Im just not entirely sure how to get her to leave it. I dont even think she can move around in that thing. Gonna try and find some shells that fit her at the store today.
That's wonderful news, glad to hear that she's okay! :)
Try to offer five or more shells per crab, then boil them and dip in marine salt water, that encourages them to check them out.