POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Disabled Crab Found Naked!!!

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All....Im a little worried about my little male crab Gnome....He molted not long ago (took him 38 days)...Not long after he surfaced i noticed he has lost both legs on the side of his big claw(Big claw is ok)...Anyway he has a bit of trouble getting around and i had to put more fish stones in the water dishes as he couldnt get out of them...I have been putting him in the water dishes as im not sure he can get in them...He use to be very shy before his molt but now he looks at me when i pick him up and has been pretty active exploring...However today i found him out of his shell (which he left in the igloo) on his back on the sand in a space where the shells are..I feared the worst but when i nudged him over he started crawling..After i offered his old shell to him inside the igloo with another similar shell, he chose his old shell but because of his disability he had a big struggle getting in his shell...i picked him and his shell up and put him in the salt water pool (he had some sand on his tail) then put him in the fresh water dish...When i picked him up and looked at him his tail wasnt in correctly so i put him back down in the igloo entrance and he sat there for a while not moving hanging out of his shell...After leaving him for a bit, he still hadnt moved...i grabbed his shell and gently tiped it up and he went in a little more so i very gently held the shell and rotated it to the right position as he went inside more as i turned it(He put his own body in while i held the shell)...Im thinking that he wanted to change shells but fell on his back and couldn't get up...i have put fresh food in his igloo(He ate before he went back into his shell) and i added 2 shells the same shape as his though a little bigger...What are your thoughts and experiences with this kind of situation?...Feel so sympathetic for my little disabled Gnome
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Disabled Crab Found Naked!!!

Post by emmac350 »

You'd probably do best to offer him a shell that's smaller than his current one and, if possible, thinner. A heavier shell will be harder for him to move around in with his disabilities; a lighter one won't take as much out of him when he does move. Plus it's less likely to get stuck in the igloo's opening (which may have been why he abandoned it in the first place).

Offer high-energy foods like fresh honey along with a daily source of protein (shrimp tails, bits of unseasoned meat you eat for your meals, dried crickets or river shrimp or whatever you have on hand) and constantly offer calcium in the tank (eggshells, cuttlebone, etc.).

This will be very hard on your crab but if he's able to get enough into his system he might be able to molt again and start regenerating his limbs again.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Limb loss and streaking can both be signs of stress often caused by incorrect conditions. As he has two signs of it it might be worth re-examining your setup.

What exactly is your current setup at the moment and what equipment are you using to monitor temp and humidity?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Im using a thermometer for temp...using a hermit crab heat pad stuck to one side of the tank...i mist the tank with a spray bottle of salt water1-2 times a day depends if the tank still has water on the glass and have an anolog humidity gadge(probably very unreliable)...still need to get a digital hygrometer..he lost his legs during his molt and has been very active compared to before his molt...I am having trouble with the temp since changing to a glass tank usually at 23 degrees C but temp can drop to 19 or 18 overnight...I have aluminium foil wraped around the lid which isnt helping so might remove it(this is new so could this cause him stress?)...I will be looking for a lamp for heating increase..
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hi emmac350....the igloo entrance is double the size of Gnomes shell, he left his shell inside the igloo and wandered off...hmmm i might try and find lighter shells in the collection but they are a different shape to his current shell...i will put the lighter shells iside his igloo...He is very inactive after his streak but does come out and crawl when i put him in his water dishes and he hasn't left his shell again...yet...I have his crab food, dried meal worms and cuttlebone...i hope he pulls through
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

What are the ingredients in the 'crab food'? Most commercial crab foods aren't actually safe for crabs.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.