Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 2
Total tanks: 1

Streaking, but sitting on new shell

Post by AlexInBethlehem »

Hello,

Last summer, I found a small aquatic hermit crab at a beach in Delaware. It's maybe half an inch long. I have had it in a small tank since then, it walks around all the time, and eagerly accepts food. Yesterday I put in some new shells that are a bit larger than its current shell. Within a couple hours, it had left its old shell, and was sitting on a new one. Since then, it hasn't gone in the new one, it just sits on the outside of the new one.

There's no other animals in the tank, so it isn't in any immediate danger, but I'm wondering why it doesn't go in the new shell, or return to the old one. Should I be worried? Do I need to give it more shells to choose from?

Alex
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Re: Streaking, but sitting on new shell

Post by appps »

I would give it more shells as neither may fit right. That said it goes against it's natural preservation instinct to be sitting with no shell (it doesn't know nothing can eat it). Generally with land hermit crabs they only do that when then they are stressed such as if there is something wrong with the tank setup.

Have you googled them to check they don't need land access when they molt of something like that?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
AlexInBethlehem
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 2

Post by AlexInBethlehem »

It molted a couple weeks ago, so I don't think that was the issue. In any case, it seems to have gotten over whatever the problem was....I've seen it in three different shells since last night!

As an aside, the limpet that had been living on it's previous shell also moved to a new one.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Maybe it's a bit of a fashionista and just couldn't pick quite the right outfit then :-)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com